Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 306 fuel pump

Options
  • 23-03-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

HAve a 1998 Peugeot 306. Low mileage and has been a great car. Did not start last week. Garage towed away and say needs a new fuel pump. They state this is connected to the immobiliser and is difficult and an expensive part to change. The garage was recommended and seem professional so please do not think I am questioning their integrity.
    The questions are :
    1) do people think a €1200 investment into a car like this is worth it?
    2) Any ideas on getting this done cheaply, could a refurbished part be used?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

What engine have you got..petrol or diesel...?? 1.4 1.6 1.9 etc
    The car is'nt worth €1200 never mind fitting new parts at this cost...:eek:
    I'd be looking at secondhand parts..if you post your vin number i can check out what spec/engine you have...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I had a 99 1.4 peugeot 306 and got the fuel pump and fuel pump relay done for under 200 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why did they mention the immobiliser if its the fuel pump that's faulty? (to justify the €1200 price? )

The immobiliser might stop the fuel pump relay from pulling in, but that's it. This is very easy to test also.

If there's power going to the fuel pump and it's not pumping any fuel, the fuel pump is faulty, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

1200 seems very steep for a fuel pump I must say. Maybe you should talk to another garage just to get another quotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Why did they mention the immobiliser if its the fuel pump that's faulty? (to justify the €1200 price? )

The immobiliser might stop the fuel pump relay from pulling in, but that's it. This is very easy to test also.

If there's power going to the fuel pump and it's not pumping any fuel, the fuel pump is faulty, simple as.

That is interesting. The garage explain there are 2 pumps and one is connected to the immobiliser and if that goes the parts to fix are very expensive and labour intensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Thanks guys for all the replies. The car is 1.9 diesel. The €1200 is for the towing, labour and parts so not for a single piece of equipment.

The only Pump thats on these engines are the injector pumps which don't
    give much trouble...:confused:
    There is no pump in tank.
    There is labour involved in replacing an injector pump which involves setting up the timing correctly....but €1200 seems alot.

Did the garage check if the stop solenoid has failed..??

I've attached 2 diagrams of both Bosch and Lucas injector pumps..your car
    may have either....the stop solenoid on diagram 1 is no 15 and an diagram 2 is no 14.
    I'd be checking the solenoid first before removing the pump.
    On the solenoid removal...
    it's a matter of removing the cable from top of solenoid unscrewing it from the injector pump removing both spring and plunger,screw back on the
    solenoid (without spring/plunger) and see if it starts...if it does then its either
    the solenoid or supply voltage from immobilser....:)
    Best of luck.

1 Bosch pump
    306XUD9Boschinjectorpump.jpg
    2 Lucas pump
    306XUD7Lucasinjectorpump.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 snip3r

hi my 306 hdi wont start..it'll turn over for about 5 mins an then start, it'll drive a short distance and then it'll die as if the ignition was switched off....ive had mechanics looking at it saying its the ecu..was so it was replaced & its not the problem..its not the imobiliser so its come up on the diognostics as a high pressure fuel leak but the pumps bone dry and there's no trace of any diesel leak anywhere ive bought a replacement bosch pump i can post up pics if needed..someone please give me good info, its goin on 7 weeks i need help:mad:...thanks

snip3r wrote: »
    hi my 306 hdi wont start..it'll turn over for about 5 mins an then start, it'll drive a short distance and then it'll die as if the ignition was switched off....ive had mechanics looking at it saying its the ecu..was so it was replaced & its not the problem..its not the imobiliser so its come up on the diognostics as a high pressure fuel leak but the pumps bone dry and there's no trace of any diesel leak anywhere ive bought a replacement bosch pump i can post up pics if needed..someone please give me good info, its goin on 7 weeks i need help:mad:...thanks

Hi snip3r,
    Have the general things been done...
    1)fuel filter replaced...??
    2)did the garage carry out a leak back test on the injectors..??

Not sure if yours has a fuel pump in tank...but if so it maybe acting up.
    what p-codes were picked up on the diagnostic check...??
    If you post/pm your vin i can have alook at what you have.
    Ron.

Row wrote: »
    Hi snip3r,
    Have the general things been done...
    1)fuel filter replaced...??
    2)did the garage carry out a leak back test on the injectors..??

Not sure if yours has a fuel pump in tank...but if so it maybe acting up.
    what p-codes were picked up on the diagnostic check...??
    If you post/pm your vin i can have alook at what you have.
    Ron.
    ya the fuel pump in the tank is brand new...no not sure if they tried the injectors for a leak back test..

• Advertisement

ya the fuel pump in the tank is brand new...no not sure if they tried the injectors for a leak back test..
    did u get my vin number

did u get my vin number

Yep got it.....have you any fault codes (Pcodes)...??

no i'm sorry they never gave me the codes they just tell me its a fuel pump problem..nobody seems to be able to get it running..ive a new fuel pump bought but it needs a gasket

If the low pressure pump in tank had failed it could have produced a small
    amount brass fileings which could make its way to the hp pump and cause problems.
    First thing to do would be to remove the fuel filter and see if you can see any traces of brass fileings...if there are metal filtings then it could be the
    hp pump breaking up/failing.
    If theres no fileings maybe try a new fuel filter before you fit the new hp pump.

If the garage do change out the hp pump make sure the blow out the flow/return fuel lines and cleaning the tank may also be a good idea as if the new pump gets any metal filings thats in the system it may cause
    damage to your new pump....:eek:

Row wrote: »
    If the low pressure pump in tank had failed it could have produced a small
    amount brass fileings which could make its way to the hp pump and cause problems.
    First thing to do would be to remove the fuel filter and see if you can see any traces of brass fileings...if there are metal filtings then it could be the
    hp pump breaking up/failing.
    If theres no fileings maybe try a new fuel filter before you fit the new hp pump.

If the garage do change out the hp pump make sure the blow out the flow/return fuel lines and cleaning the tank may also be a good idea as if the new pump gets any metal filings thats in the system it may cause
    damage to your new pump....:eek:
    the tank has been cleaned and its only got new filters i doubt thats the problem..if i'll get back to you with some p codes..

the tank has been cleaned and its only got new filters i doubt thats the problem..if i'll get back to you with some p codes..

O.k....i guess the garage have checked the common rail pressure on
    live data @idel 2k...3k...

Advertisement