Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway mobile mechanic/car electrics person needed!

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My Renault Kangoo diesel van has sat for 6 months without being started... so of course it won't start - dead battery, or..?

I was away all this time, and the car was left in the parking garage where I live. It was running fine beforehand - had a new battery about a year ago. I came back to start it, and of course, nothing - totally dead. I've tried starting it with a battery/jump leads device, but it won't turn over (though the lights now come on, etc). If I use jump leads to another car, will that be any different? Is the battery the likely issue here?

I need then the cheapest option to get things going again here. It's due a DOE test v.soon, and obviously I need to get it going before that, so any names, hints, anything would be a life saver!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Take the battery out and charge it or connect it to another diesel car with jump leads and start the other vehicle and leave it running for fifteen or twenty minutes.

Then start your van and give it a good drive for fifteen or twenty minutes before you knock it off should be ok.

But the best option is to remove the battery and charge it.

Those booster packs unless you have a very expensive on will not have enough power to start a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he said ^^, connect the leads and leave donor car running a good five minutes before attempting to start dead car.

Advertisement