Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square's CEO - Another "possible" remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In before Retros rant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

That proves it. Square enix milking FF to the death before everyone cops on they aren't even trying anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

This could be great news. But they have to realise that the reason people want a remake is not to play with the same level of graphics on the POXY PSP. Not to have it turned into an ACTION game or Single player MMORPG like they've been tending to with recent FFs.

The reason fans want a remake is because they loved the story and the gameplay and they want to see that beautiful, intricate world with full HD gloriousness. The content is already there, the MUSIC is already there. Just add a little and it will be a massive success. I'm sure there is a big generation of new FF fans as well as just gamers generally that have never had the pleasure of playing 7, this will give them that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm so so sick of reading about a potential remake... Who gives a f*ck... really? I'm not going on a rant here.

I want to know if Squenix offered to remake Final Fantasy VII or start Final Fantasy XV, which would you want them to spend time developing?!

And if you can honestly answer VII, why? And would it live up to the original (in your eyes)?

I'd buy it if it was released, don't get me wrong, but I'll never pine for a remake! And I don't see why others do... Just replay the f'n thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want square enix to make good games like they used. I don't care much for a rehash of a dated RPG.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just want square enix to make good games like they used. I don't care much for a rehash of a dated RPG.

You pick up XIII yet Retr0?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've literally not a penny to my name. I'd be buying Yakuza 3 and SMT: Strange Journey first if I had the money anyway since I'm guessing FFXIII will be heavily disconted soon.

I'm so so sick of reading about a potential remake... Who gives a f*ck... really? I'm not going on a rant here.

I want to know if Squenix offered to remake Final Fantasy VII or start Final Fantasy XV, which would you want them to spend time developing?!

And if you can honestly answer VII, why? And would it live up to the original (in your eyes)?

I'd buy it if it was released, don't get me wrong, but I'll never pine for a remake! And I don't see why others do... Just replay the f'n thing.
    They've already announced 14 will be an mmorpg
    I've literally not a penny to my name. I'd be buying Yakuza 3 and SMT: Strange Journey first if I had the money anyway since I'm guessing FFXIII will be heavily disconted soon.
    Let me save you. DO NOT BUY!

They've already announced 14 will be an mmorpg

Let me save you. DO NOT BUY!

I know, which is why I said XV...

bahahahaha roman neumoroligy fail on my part.

Tbh after 13 it'll take a pretty special game for me to buy a FF new, and I don't think a remake will do it

• Advertisement

Are you saying that Nomura's emofest FFXIII Versus and the monster hunter rip off FFXIII Agito don't interest you?

My advise to disillusioned Square fans, take up shin megami tensei. It's awesome.

Tbh after 13 it'll take a pretty special game for me to buy a FF new, and I don't think a remake will do it

Can't say I have too much interest in FFXIV, but Versus XIII has an Airship... that in itself says something about it I suppose? I don't really know anything about it though!

Are you saying that Nomura's emofest FFXIII Versus and the monster hunter rip off FFXIII Agito don't interest you?

My advise to disillusioned Square fans, take up shin megami tensei. It's awesome.
    versus might I'll see what more is released apart from airship and world map, last SMT game I played was on the ps2, quite a good series, Hard as feck to find in ireland, let alone kilkenny!
    Can't say I have too much interest in FFXIV, but Versus XIII has an Airship... that in itself says something about it I suppose? I don't really know anything about it though!
    Nobody really does, it just says airship and world map, it could still be linear as fup tbh, people are just speculating/hoping it's a return to the old way of exploring, Say what you want about 8 at least the ragnorok had uses like finding where eden was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'd get the remake, but I'd prefer FFXV any day. The way they're hinting at it lately, the remake's gonna happen. I'd kinda prefer they waited another decade, so it'd look like playing Advent Children!

Remakes can be great (REmake) and they can be pointless (Twin Snakes). I fail to see how they can add much to FFVII, without annoying the diehards.

Well for me the battle system really needs to be changed but then you run the danger of making it not feel like FFVII. Since the battle system is so simple and the game is a total pushover a lot of FFVII's feel comes from how painless it is to get through the game. I'd like to see the change up the battle system like they did with FFIV remake on the DS which made it far more interesting and tactical but I've a feeling it might not be possible with FFVII without making it not changing the feel.

The I'd also like to see the storyline changed because it's utter nonsense really. However this is the same Square Enix that made Advent Children so I don't trust them. If we get a more literal translation we will end up with the whiny emo moany Cloud that people will hate. In the japanese version Cloud was modelled on that ****head Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion since it really was riding on the popularity of the TV series at the time. Also I'm pretty sure we will get a Nomura influenced Sephiroth which would be terrible for a character who already is pretty weak and only has the 'cool factor' going for him. Adding to the story to make it less of a cluster**** of nonsense outside of Midgar would be nice but again it could end up changing things too much or infecting it with the Square Enix rot.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Remakes can be great (REmake) and they can be pointless (Twin Snakes). I fail to see how they can add much to FFVII, without annoying the diehards.

That's a great point actually, the remake of Resident Evil on the GC is just all sorts of right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I hope this is remade for PSP as if it's on PS3 it will be the only reason for me to buy a PS3. I don't mind the gameplay not being updated but some of the dialogue would benefit from a brushing over in places. Cloud based on Ikari Shinji?WTF? I know you said he's more emo in the Japanese original but-he's so cold and heartless much of the time in the English translation.

He's definitely based on Shinji Ikari since the game was trying to ride on the hype of evangelion, there's a few similarities. He's more like the cloud in crisis core I've been told except more wussy. He only comes off cold in the english version because of poor translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Your opinion, nothing dated about it in mine and that of many other FF fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

He's definitely based on Shinji Ikari since the game was trying to ride on the hype of evangelion, there's a few similarities. He's more like the cloud in crisis core I've been told except more wussy. He only comes off cold in the english version because of poor translation.

I think I've said it before but that scene where Tifa went into Cloud's subconsciouss was definitely ripped from evangelion. I really liked it though,it was interesting. If Cloud really was based on Shinji I hope they turn him back into whinning bitch mode for the remake. I don't mind a character whinning if I like the character,or if they have some justification to their emoness. Tidus on the other hand...uurrggghhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No interest in this at all and it just goes to show just how the well has gone dry at Square. I love FFVII, it's a genuine classic that I've played through time after time - only recently finished another run through on the PSP. However, I have no desire to pay €60 to play it again with better graphics. If you change it to appeal to people like me, it's not FFVII anymore.

The problem is that Square are considering this because they're lacking in creative tallent now to such an extent that they are unable to live up to the standards they set for themselves. Look at their output from the last five or six years and it's nowhere near as good as the stuff they used to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i love ff7 but i do not want a remake. FF7 was made by a great company 'Squaresoft' but the jokers we have now at Square Enix are not the same people who made FF7 so i think they would butcher it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Memnoch wrote: »
    This could be great news. But they have to realise that the reason people want a remake is not to play with the same level of graphics on the POXY PSP. Not to have it turned into an ACTION game or Single player MMORPG like they've been tending to with recent FFs.

The reason fans want a remake is because they loved the story and the gameplay and they want to see that beautiful, intricate world with full HD gloriousness. The content is already there, the MUSIC is already there. Just add a little and it will be a massive success. I'm sure there is a big generation of new FF fans as well as just gamers generally that have never had the pleasure of playing 7, this will give them that chance.

Agreed, they better not mess it up.. the only thing i would like to see added is more optional content, like the chocobo breeding stuff, few new destinations, perhaps give the other chracters more back story heck even throw in a card game :)

Just dont change the main story much please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Persona games are good but, bar being JRPGs obviously, they are pretty different to FF games.

For starters th production values aren't as good, not a massive deal I grant you theres always the technical tour de force aspect to Square games.

They are also incredibly linear, seriously to an unbelievable degree. To say you follow the same pattern everyday is an understatement - alot of the filler conversation in other RPGs which would be optional is actually enforced on you in Persona games. Some of it is witty/cute etc but theres something a little more mundane when the limits of the topics of conversation teenage issues compared to some of the more serious issues some other RPGs can bring up.

I haven't any other SMT games so I don't speak for them all but I wouldn't necessarily be recommending Persona to diehard FF fans.

Pluses are that the boss battles are a decent challenge and you actuallu feel like you accomplished something - the music is also pretty unique.

Advertisement