Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect or building surveyor?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Folks,

I need to get a residential structural survey done.
    There seem to be a good few professional bodies knocking around…eg The Society of Chartered Surveyors, Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland, Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers…..to name but a few?

Do they all have the same processional recognition? Also, should I use an Architect or building surveyor?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

For a structural survey, I'd personally get an engineer rather than a surveyor or an architect. Is it for buying a house?

Edit - see Victor's post below for more comprehensive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,353 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are buying a house and you don't think there is anything particularly wrong with it, you could use either. If you think the house is "tired" (damp, ventilation, etc.) the building surveyor might be best. If you think its in need of remodelling, e.g. the kitchen and bathroom are too small, go for an architect. If you really don't like the look of the crack in the gable wall and the slope on the floor, go for an engineer. Any of them should be able to do the job, but pick one who's strengths match the property's major problems.

Some surveyors will also be able to do the valuation.

Shop around, plenty of people out there these days.

www.scs.ie
    www.ipav.ie
    www.riai.ie
    www.iei.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

@ Janmc.....yep its a house purchase

@ victor......cheers, that makes sense. There is no major issue's (to the naked eye at least). So i guess it's going to be a building suveyor. I've priced a few. They are coming in at the region of 330-400e

Advertisement