Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT question - Im making good use out of this place

• 22-03-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Another little problem with my mark 4 Golf TDI.

The reverse switch has gone faulty. When the engine is on and I select the reverse gear there are no lights, but once I put the engine under load and get near biting point it seems the extra vibration makes the switch work again and it lights up, but only when the engine is under load ie. Moving the car. If its nearish biting point sometimes the lights flash on and off very quickly. I could take the switch out and see if any contacts are dirty, should I bother?

Will I fail the NCT on this? Its coming up and its my first NCT ever. Would I also fail on my unrelated airbag warning light problem that Ive been nattering on about lately?

My engine is an AGR 90bhp and it has the standard 5 speed box. Does anyone know the part number off the top of their head?

Some advice, Pre NCT service or use NCT to find fault and get it fixed? Id go more for the former.

Thanks all
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I just googled that for you. Apparantly the reverse switch on the gearbox is the problem and a common fault on mkiv's. More on it here with a 'how to' replace it guide.

13.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for that. I over looked the vortex forum for some reason. They have summet on everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Neither items were a fail but I believe it is coming in that both will be included shortly if not already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Slidey, bang on, April I think... From the new manual...

REVERSE LAMP(S)
    Method of Testing
    Where a reverse lamp is fitted, check to ensure that when in use, it provides a white light which is clearly visible.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    Reverse Lamp:-
    1 Not working or faulty.
    2 Missing or not clearly visible.
    3 Not white in colour.
    4 Lens broken or missing.
    5 Insecurely mounted.
    6 Reversing lamp remains illuminated after
    reverse gear has been disengaged.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Slidey, bang on, April I think... From the new manual...

REVERSE LAMP(S)
    Method of Testing
    Where a reverse lamp is fitted, check to ensure that when in use, it provides a white light which is clearly visible.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    Reverse Lamp:-
    1 Not working or faulty.
    2 Missing or not clearly visible.
    3 Not white in colour.
    4 Lens broken or missing.
    5 Insecurely mounted.
    6 Reversing lamp remains illuminated after
    reverse gear has been disengaged.

Damn, Im due in May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

http://www.ncts.ie/NewInspectionItems.aspx

New regulations come into effect 1st April I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,496 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bbk wrote: »
    Damn, Im due in May.
    You can do it up to 3 months early...

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    You can do it up to 3 months early...

Thanks, but Ill probably get the problems fixed now, I have a couple of weeks off so its just as easy.

I got the reverse switch from a VW garage today. 15 quid isnt too bad.

EDIT:
    I got ambitious and tried to replace it myself using the VWVortex how to . . I couldnt get past the battery :(

haha, twill be a while before Im a decent DIYer!

Advertisement