Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting paid beforee ssn arrives? J1-sandiego

Options
  • 22-03-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'm plannin on workin in san diego on a J1 for the summer and i've heard so much about how it takes 10-12 weeks to get it which means you won't get paid for lyk 10 weeks!
    I got this form off CIEE an they apparently show a way of gettin paid before you get ur ssn, they say they can give you a "Legal Opinion Letter" to give your employer so you can get paid.
    Sounds great, but this is the first i've heard of it an when I went into the USIT office they never mentioned it?
    greatly appreciate your help if you know anythingn about this an if it works!

Heres the link about how CIEE say you can get paid before u get ssn number http://www.ciee.org/wat/taxes/sstime.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

What happens is you apply, some time later you are given the actual social security number but you must wait for the card in the mail. This usually takes several weeks if not months. However, once you have the actual number that's when you can get paid. The letter that CIEE give you is a letter for the Social Security office itself. I think I mentioned somewhere before, I landed in San Diego in the middle of the busy season and only waited 3 days for my social security number. Then waited 6 months if not more for the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trixybelle

lil_lisa wrote: »
    What happens is you apply, some time later you are given the actual social security number but you must wait for the card in the mail. This usually takes several weeks if not months. However, once you have the actual number that's when you can get paid. The letter that CIEE give you is a letter for the Social Security office itself. I think I mentioned somewhere before, I landed in San Diego in the middle of the busy season and only waited 3 days for my social security number. Then waited 6 months if not more for the card.

Hey, when I said I got a form from them I mean it was just an info pamphlet thing that tells ya about jobs, housing and what to do when you get there. My main worry has been not getting paid by my employer until I get my ssn which could be weeks. But then I read that link I posted above and they seem to solve this problem by saying you can get a Legal Opinion Letter from them if you want to get paid while you wait for it,which sounds great,but I have never heard of anyone mention this before and so I think there might be some catch to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yes but what I'm saying is that you'll get your actual number weeks before your card, I'm assuming this letter then is for employers who won't accept the number on its own, who want to see the actual card, although this can be rare for a summer job. Either way, you have to wait for your number to be certain to work. I don't know of any company who will hire without it. Its like hiring someone without a PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

You should definitely make this your priority as soon as you arrive. I received my card in 10 days and my employer was good enough to give me credit on the accommodation and food. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trixybelle

Valmont wrote: »
    You should definitely make this your priority as soon as you arrive. I received my card in 10 days and my employer was good enough to give me credit on the accommodation and food. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Are you saying you received it 10days after you applied for it?
    It just takes so long in san diego and I'm worried that if I get a job and everything sorted I still won't get paid until I get this number/card which could be 10 weeks or more and I won't be able to survive that long with out pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You don't really need the card all you need is the number. You're only allowed 10 cards in your life time apparently so don't lose it! And it's also not a good idea to carry it in your wallet. I've never been asked for the card (that I recall). It didn't take me too long to get the number, a week or so, not that it mattered I didn't get a job all summer anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

trixybelle wrote: »
    Are you saying you received it 10days after you applied for it?
    It just takes so long in san diego and I'm worried that if I get a job and everything sorted I still won't get paid until I get this number/card which could be 10 weeks or more and I won't be able to survive that long with out pay.
    Yes, 10 days or so. Although I was in the backwaters of Alaska so maybe that isn't a realistic comparison for the lower 48.

Advertisement