Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universal Audio 6176

Options
  • 22-03-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

In May I intend on buying a new compressor. I came across this unit and as you can see it is a pre amp and a compressor. I have a neve portico and it is lovely and clean but through using it over the past I have learnt that it really shines on violins more so than vocals. I am looking past the Portico now and this unit has got some great reviews. Has anyone here got this unit or anything like it?

The Universal Audio 6176 610 Valve Mic-Amp And 1176 FET Limiter. Legendary, respected combination of the 2-610 microphone/instrument preamplifier and the 1176LN compressor in one box.
    The Universal Audio 6176 Channel Strip delivers the classic sound of the legendary 610 Modular Console. Advances in digital recording technology are providing users with tremendous power and flexibility for increasingly less money. All too often, however, the audio quality of these systems is limited by their input stages. Many users who demand the power and flexibility of todays recording technology find themselves yearning for the warmth and tone of yesteryears hand-built analog circuitry. Now with the release of the 6176, Universal Audio, for the first time, combines their highly acclaimed 610 tube microphone preamp with their legendary 1176LN compressor to create the ultimate single channel signal path for everything from vocals to vibraphones. The 2-610 microphone and instrument preamplifier has received praise from many corners. Michael Cooper, in his review for Mix Magazine, called it hands-down, the most dimensional mic preamp I've ever heard Peter Wade, engineer/producer who has worked with acts ranging from Wyclef Jean to Jennifer Lopez, said simply, This box rocks. The 6176 mic preamp sections maintains the quality and character of the 2-610 while adding high-tension power regulation for improved bass response and a front-panel 15db pad switch. As legendary engineer/ producer Andy Johns put it, The 1176LN is the workhorse compressor. The 1176LN may well be the most loved compressor in history. Its trademark lightning-quick attack and release times and the tone of its Class A output amplifier have enhanced countless recordings over the last thirty-five years. UA have recreated the 1176LN for the compressor section of the 6176 with the same exacting, attention to detail and tradition used on the 1176LN. The resulting character, heritage and tone simply cannot be found on other channel strip units.
    The main features of the Universal Audio 6176 include:
    • Legendary, respected combination of the 2-610 microphone/instrument preamplifier and the 1176LN compressor in one box
    • Classic Sound of the Legendary 610 Modular Console
    • Powerful DAW front end used for vocal, bass and instrument tracking across the world
    • Variable Input Gain and Output Levels
    • Ultra Quiet Operation
    • Mic, Balanced Line, and Hi-Z Inputs
    • Multiple Impedance Settings
    • Classic EQ
    • Classic 1176LN Compression
    • Stereo Interconnection via 1176-SA
    • Use Mic Pre & Compressor Seperately ("Split") or in Series ("Join")
    univ_6176.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

We sold Frank (and Niall) in Salt studio one.

Great wee box for recording plus you can, of course, use the 1176 part again in your mix.

You won't go wrong with an 1176 in your armoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    We sold Frank (and Niall) in Salt studio one.

Great wee box for recording plus you can, of course, use the 1176 part again in your mix.

Brilliant Paul, I will get onto Niall to see what he thinks! Have you heard it in action?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »
    Brilliant Paul, I will get onto Niall to see what he thinks! Have you heard it in action?

Not the pre - the comp is a classic.

I have the TLA and the Portico so I have two pre amps but the TLA is too cloudy, it must be the tubes. The TLA works great for guitars and bass is all. The TLA can also be noisy & cloudy on vocals as Ross from Westland pointed out and I completely agree. So I hope that the 6176 has a professional 'glue' sound that is warm but tonal and full of punch, depth and character. Fingers crossed its been ages since I could afford a new piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Hey Dav, if you're looking for a bit of versatility in your setup the 6176 does so much in one box. And if you're primarily working with vocals it's a really great bit of kit to have.

I love the one we have, use it mostly on kick, bass and it's always my go to for vocals.

On the pre side you can keep it nice and clean or click up the gain knob and push the tube to get some nice dirty sounds. I think it has a nice smooth warm sound, but definitely not cloudy. The EQ looks basic at first but I've grown to really like it. Nice and quick in the middle of a session, flick through the settings, see what you like, move on. The EQ on this box actually changed the way I approach EQing in my mixes. And that's one thing that really puts me off the new 610 solos; no EQ. :mad:

With the comp end again I feel it's really versatile. Smooth gentle compression or you can really smash things up. You can hook it up after any of your existing pres too of course. Again kick, bass and vocals usually go to the 1176 when I'm mixing. It definitely has its own sound when its pushed, as Paul says a classic sound that you can't go far wrong with.

Wish we had two! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi Dav,
    The UA 6176 is a great piece of gear. Been using it for 17 months or so and I'm very happy with it but there are a few things you might want to consider re it's character

1 - it's compressor is very fast even at it's slowest setting it won't allow the top of any words thru. This is not usually a problem but if your doing any hip -hop its might kill the punch in the lyric which the hip-hop / rap heads love.

2 -the compressor has a dark character not a problem for me but should be noted.

3 -the pre has a rounder sound and less clinical than some others but again I never find this a problem / maybe only on tamberine, hi-hat or something that need fast transient response.

4 - Hi-z input is good not great better for bass gtr than electrics passive or active

All in all it's a great box not as much personality as a neve, API or summit audio maybe but still very versatile and great sound quality!

Hope this helps your welcome to come out and check it out at the studio
    Cheers
    -Declan

Hi Dav,
    The UA 6176 is a great piece of gear. Been using it for 17 months or so and I'm very happy with it but there are a few things you might want to consider re it's character

1 - it's compressor is very fast even and it's slowest setting it won't allow the top of any words thru. This is not usually a problem but if your doing any hip -hop its might kill the punch in the lyric which the hip-hop / rap heads love.

2 -the compressor has a dark character not a problem for me but should be noted.

3 -the pre has a rounder sound and less clinical than some others but again I never find this a problem / maybe only on tamberine, hi-hat or something that need fast transient response.

4 - Hi-z input is good not great better for bass gtr than electrics passive or active

All in all it's a great box not as much personality as a neve, API or summit audio maybe but still very versatile and great sound quality!

Hope this helps your welcome to come out and check it out at the studio
    Cheers
    -Declan

Hi Declan,

I would really appreciate the opportunity to come out and hear it for myself on a vocal. Your feedback is appreciated. I am glad you mentioned it has a great sound quality because at 2k+ I want something that I can be thankful to own and use. Thank you.

Hi Dav,
    That's no problem, grab yourself a singer or gtr or whatever and come over. We can do comparison with some other pres/compressors.
    I'll pm you to discuss times .
    All the best,
    -Declan

Hi Dav,
    That's no problem, grab yourself a singer or gtr or whatever and come over. We can do comparison with some other pres/compressors.
    I'll pm you to discuss times .
    All the best,
    -Declan

Excellent I am really looking forward it, I will bring my guitar indeed. By the way you have an amazing amount of quality gear, your studio looks beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

How does it compare to a TLA 100?

http://www.summitaudio.com/

• Advertisement

Hi Studiorat,
    Not sure if you were asking me re Summit audio and UA comparison. I don't have the TLA 100 but have used them many times. I do however own the MPC 100a which would be in direct competition with the UA 6176.
    Generally I find that the Summit's Pre has a more of a full bodied sound with a much more noticable high-end really airy and expensive sounding. The 6176 has a darker sound slightly more "closed in". As mad as this sounds think of Summit audio as Celine Dion and UA as AC/DC !
    Also the summit pre has noticeable more of a forward sound which might be considered more of a comtemporary vocal sound the UA sounding more vintage.

The compressors on these units are pretty excellent at good amounts of gain reduction without sounding to grabby. (a real test of a good compressor) . The Ua being bullet fast FET compressor very smooth / sounds like a medium type knee to me.
    The Summit Audio MPC 100a compressor is also very smooth not as fast as a 6176. The compressor is very open sounding . You don't get that loss of top end when compressing hard and the low end always sounds solid.

In conclusion if I had to record Celine Dion or Barbara Streisand ( I know dream on !!) I'd reach for the Summit. If it was Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan ( Still dreaming ) It would be the Ua 6176.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

nice piece of kit ,on the subject of hardware did anyone ever see an emt plate reverb in Ireland?.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

old thread - how would the Universal Audio 6176 suit electronic music? looking for something to give a nice thump to 808 kicks & fat synth bass lines. Was looking at this or the api channel strip.

any info appreciated

cheers

Advertisement