Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance - useless

Options
  • 22-03-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi All,

While travelling to Italy last year for a wedding – my bag did not arrive. I was staying in a villa over 100 miles away from the airport (and 10 miles from the local town). We reported the bag lost and the next day it arrived at the airport. We went out to collect it in a taxi (at a cost of 180 EUR). When we returned to the Villa – we discovered it had been opened and several expensive items had been stolen. It was the day of the wedding and 20 mins before it was due to start. We quickly rushed off but on our return to the villa we submitted an online report to ryanair. We did not report it to the Italian Police as we were not near any town (no car and no Italian) but as soon I returned to Ireland I reported it the Garda.

My claim has been rejected for the following reason…

Please be advised that your policy does not provide cover for losses not
    reported to the police or appropriate authorities within 24 hours of
    discovery and a written report obtained.

Ryanair emailed us back a week later confirming they received our compliant within 24 hours. We reported the missing bag initially with the airport and then with the Garda. I’m about to appeal the decision. I think this is outrageous. While I didn’t fulfil the letter of the policy I did my utmost to try. Every year for the last 10 years I brought travel insurance – what on EARTH was the point?

Does anyone know if I have a case with the ombudsman?

THANKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I think Insurers have nailed this one down very tight. You have to remember that Insurers are obliged to investigate the claim and to establish that a theft has occurred. Given that an Irish travel insurance company is unlikely to have representitives abroad to investigate the claim, the local police report is one of the few things they can go by.

In previous years, 'alleged' theft claims from holiday makers became a severe problem with the common perception within the industry that such claims were easy money by some dishonest people. By Insurers insisting that you must report the theft to the local police (often in jurisdictions where you don't try and lie to those guys), they will almost always accept your word.

Sorry, but I think there is a low chance of success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Some countries (Croatia for example) won't give you a police report so it leaves you up sh1t creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

One needs to be very careful with the wording of their travel insurance policies. A lot of people who have travel insurance don't bring their policy document with them when they go away either so won't be aware of the limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

did you buy your ryanair tickets with a credit card. Maybe the credit card insurance might cover it. Although, I guess they will have a similar clause. Must be reported to the police within 24hours of you discovering the theft.

Advertisement