Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do banks check these days?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Bit of background. Have been with BOI for the last 15 years or so, took two loans out with them, still paying them back and have never missed a payment. Also have a credit card with them.

From time to time over the past 5 years I would have made gambling transactions from both my credit card and my laser card. My second loan would have been approved with this knowledge at hand (or so I'm presuming). Recently, I've made a number of transactions (depositing and withdrawing from a particular site) but I'm slightly concerned that it may affect me down the line when it comes to loan/mortgage etc. Obviously it really shouldn't as it's my spending money etc.

What's the situation like now? Am I in a bit of a crappy position?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

When your applying for loans or credit cards the bank they normally look at the last 3 months of statements. Mortgage they will look further back. I would say as long as you are not excessively gambling and going into your overdraft, and its money you can afford to loose it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

As long as you're incomings are still higher or equal to your outgoings, then where you are spending your money will not be an issue.
    The main thing is that as long as you are not using more than 30% of your income to pay back debts you should not have a problem getting a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JonathanD

Thanks for the responses guys. My income is around the 2k mark p/m and of that I pay roughly 300 on an outstanding loan. The rest obviously goes on various DDs etc but only 300 of that is related to the loan. I do have a credit card though which is currently at the 700 mark (limit is 1k) but I'm not sure if you're including that when you say 30%?

Advertisement