Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht for 10 yr old

Options
  • 22-03-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Can anyone recommend a Gaeltacht summer course for a 10 year old. She's 9 this year but I know the good ones book up fast so I want to book next Sep/Oct for next year.
    Her Irish is very basic and I also want to make sure it's a pleasant experience for her so that it doesn't put her off ever going again.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The courses in Coláiste na Rinne in Waterford are for 10-19 year olds. Since they also run a boarding school for 6th class students, they are used to younger kids ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 katy_00

We only live about 45 mins from there but I've heard that it's not one of the better ones..and that the kids don't learn much Irish while there????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Hi

When I was 14 I went to Bhaile Bhurine in west Cork. Its run by Gael Linn.
    Very frendly atmosphere.Before I went there I hated Irish in school.
    I went back for another three years after that. I now love Irish. I would suggest sending them to a more relaxed collage first because they are young. This is probably their first time away from home and then send them to one of the more strict collages in a year or two.

Go n-Eiri leat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mulvihill67

Hi Katy,
    I am haveing the same dilema as you did, may I ask how you resolved it, geting a lot of conflicting advice and would like some clarity on the subject if you have any to give. Thanks B

Hi, would you reccomend sending a 10 year old to Bhaile Bhurine course, its one of the options we have shortlisted for our son, any ideas would be a great help. Thanks B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Hi, would you reccomend sending a 10 year old to Bhaile Bhurine course, its one of the options we have shortlisted for our son, any ideas would be a great help. Thanks B

I would, I went when I was 14, They split the course into two groups, Junior Cert and Leaving Cert, Your 10 year old will probably be amongst the youngest of the group for JC, But there will be others there of the same age.

Bhaile Bhurine tend to focus more on the Fun side of things than on the grammer side of things, as a result, your child may not learn as much as if you sent them elsewhere, But they will have a good time and gain a good attuide to the language, with this experience, they would do well in a more formal course in later years.

Go raibh míle maith agat, deise go deo, Thanks very much for that, its a great help to get other perspectives on the course and good to know that its learned through fun, which in the case of a 10 year old is essential.
    B

Go raibh míle maith agat, deise go deo, Thanks very much for that, its a great help to get other perspectives on the course and good to know that its learned through fun, which in the case of a 10 year old is essential.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Anyone got any links (or otherwise contact details) for the courses in Baile Bhuirne? Also, are they resident courses or what's the story? My mother-in-law lives just a few km away in Clondrohid and my preference would be for my daughter to stay with her there and commute to the course in the morning.

Hi Cantalach, I just spoke with a man called Daithí from Gael Linn and he said that they have day pupils from the area that go to the collaiste as well, so i would think that could be an option. Hope that helps. B

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 vinnyb

Old job I had we used visit a lot of the Gaeltacht colleges to promote some of the stuff we did with the company. Must say that the best ones were Spleodar or Colaiste na bhFiann which run different courses specifically designed for different ages, they also have the added bonus of running the popular youth clubs throughout the year all over the country. The standard of Irish in these colleges was 2nd to none.

Colaiste Lurgan is also good and locate younger students on a different campus to elder students which would be an advantage to a younger child

Thanks Vinnyb, any information I can get is great, want him to have a good experience and enjoy it as well as learning. Go raibh maith agat. Slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

My nephew has slight asperger's syndrome and we would like him to attend Gaeltacht with my son, do any of the schools cater for special needs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Hmm...in relation to the Gael Linn courses in Ballyvourney, I'm not sure they'll work for a 10-year old. Their website says that the child must have been at least 11 on the 1st Jan. Shame.

Hi JJJJNR, not too sure in relation to your nephew, again all you can do is ask, if your nephew is in a main stream school there is a good possibility that he can be placed in the collaiste but if he needs one to one tutoring it may not be possible for the school to do that. Not much help sorry. B

Hi cantalach, I know but he is also in 4th class and they take them from that class as well. Will have to wait and see. Thanks for pointing it out.
    B

Advertisement