Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM-final marking

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Im in a final year TSM course and am still a little confused about exactly how the year is marked. From what I can gather, 35% is given from my minor subject (3rd yr) and then 65% is my final year exams and dissertation (with four exams and a dissertation worth 2 exams, this leaves each exam as worth just over 10%, and my thesis at 20%?) Can anybody verify this for me/kmow if this sounds about right? The handbook wrecks my head and has just confused me more.

(Sorry, I know I should really know this by now!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

It might help if you added which subject is your major subject, as the specific breakdown varies from subject to subject. The 35% minor/65% major breakdown is standard for TSM, though most subjects have it organised now so that third year and fourth year contribute equally to your final mark.

E.g.

3rd year:
    Final exams (+ continuous assessment) in minor subject = 100% of that subject = 35% of overall degree
    Exams (+ continuous assessment) in major subject = c.23% (15/65) of that subject = 15% of overall degree

4th year:
    Final exams (+ dissertation, continuous assessment) = c.77% (50/65) of that subject = 50% of overall degree

So that the mark in your major subject also includes third-year stuff. This may not be the case for your subject, but is worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aifreec

I'm third year TSM and also a bit lost about the finer details of the marking system. Reading through the handbooks for my courses, I know that the subject I'm minoring in is worth 35 per cent and all accounted for and boxed off this year. Then 150 marks of the subject I'm majoring in are accounted for this year, the final 500 (or 50 per cent of degree) allotted to next year.

What I'm confused about is that in my minor subject (French), it is specified in the handbook that between exams and essays, 400 marks are allocated, then these marks are "re-calculated" so as to be in accordance with the 350 of the TSM scheme. Can anyone explain how the marks are re-configured and rounded down- does one stand to lose out at all with the re-calculations etc.?

Secondly, regardless of individual results in either subject, are the total marks for both subjects added together at the end of 4th year for my degree result? I.e. is it a combined result based on adding the x/350 + x/150 (3rd year) to x/500 (4th year), rather than your result being a mean of, say, a 11.2 and a 11.1?

If anyone can follow any of what I've asked, I'd appreciate any explanations! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

aifreec wrote: »
    What I'm confused about is that in my minor subject (French), it is specified in the handbook that between exams and essays, 400 marks are allocated, then these marks are "re-calculated" so as to be in accordance with the 350 of the TSM scheme. Can anyone explain how the marks are re-configured and rounded down- does one stand to lose out at all with the re-calculations etc.?

Based on what you wrote, I'm presuming that they get a mark out of 400, then multiply it by 0.35. So if you got 375/400 (93.75%), that would be 328/350 (93.75% of thirty-five percent, rounded down).

But if you're confused or think it may be done differently, you should ask the department directly.
    Secondly, regardless of individual results in either subject, are the total marks for both subjects added together at the end of 4th year for my degree result? I.e. is it a combined result based on adding the x/350 + x/150 (3rd year) to x/500 (4th year), rather than your result being a mean of, say, a 11.2 and a 11.1?

Yes, I believe so. Though averaging the third-year grade with the fourth-year grade would actually give the same result. "II.1" isn't a number, you would have gotten something like, say, 67%.

Here's an example.

Third year: 300/500 --> 60% (II.1)
    Fourth year 250/500 --> 50% (II.2)

Overall mark: 275/500 (average) or 550/1000 (additive) --> 55% (II.2)

Your fourth year grade from exams is not the same as your degree class (I, II.1, II.2, III). In TSM, the third and fourth year grades are averaged like that to give the mark that determines the degree class. In the example, a 55 was the average and therefore the degree class would be II.2.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

aifreec wrote: »

If anyone can follow any of what I've asked, I'd appreciate any explanations! Thanks

Formally, moderatorship marks are out of 1000. In Pattern B, the minor subject returns a JS mark out of 350, and the major subject returns a JS mark out of 150. These go on record, and, in a subsequent year, the major subject returns an SS mark out of 500. These marks then get totalled to determine the degree result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aifreec

Based on what you wrote, I'm presuming that they get a mark out of 400, then multiply it by 0.35. So if you got 375/400 (93.75%), that would be 328/350 (93.75% of thirty-five percent, rounded down).

But if you're confused or think it may be done differently, you should ask the department directly.

Yes, I believe so. Though averaging the third-year grade with the fourth-year grade would actually give the same result. "II.1" isn't a number, you would have gotten something like, say, 67%.

Here's an example.

Third year: 300/500 --> 60% (II.1)
    Fourth year 250/500 --> 50% (II.2)

Overall mark: 275/500 (average) or 550/1000 (additive) --> 55% (II.2)

Your fourth year grade from exams is not the same as your degree class (I, II.1, II.2, III). In TSM, the third and fourth year grades are averaged like that to give the mark that determines the degree class. In the example, a 55 was the average and therefore the degree class would be II.2.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, that does help. My oh my do I regret choosing TSM. Feels like you're fighting a losing battle points wise. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement