Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maigret

Options
  • 22-03-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Have recently discovered the wonderful Maigret, by Georges Simenon, got box set from the fabulous Amazon for practically nothing. I saw a french version of the tv show years ago and decided to try the books, fantastic character, more human then any agatha character, whom i love dearly, for those cold sunday nights in. You get completly sucked into his Paris, fantastic stuff :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What would be your favourite if you had to pick one?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

God its hard to say, have just finished 'A friend of Madame Maigret' which I thoroughly enjoyed, have orded a few more omnibus's from the great Amazon so will see after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Hi OP. I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. He was someone I always wanted to read, but he dropped off my list and I forgot he even existed.

As a result of this thread, I dug out the first Penguin Simenon omnibus, and I'm enjoying it immensely. The first novel in it doesn't even feature Maigret, but it's really tightly written and the characters are instantly vivid and believable.

It's called Monieur Monde Vanishes, if anyone is looking for it. So far not much has happened, but it has the slow dread-filled atmosphere of a Claude Chabrol thriller. Really enjoyable stuff, and how good it is to discover a writer who has over a hundred novels to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Flashback to Leaving Cert French.

Advertisement