Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year ideas

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi im currently a third year student and am going to do transition year, i plan on going to france to learn french and ski, my sister did this and it sounded really fun but... she said she wouldnt go where she went. Does anyone know of any place or have a better idea? I tried searching online but results come in the form of advertisements for skiing holidays.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Itlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I don't know about skiing, but if you are interested in spending a school term in France (Au college en France) you should contact Living Language. Their website is www.livinglanguage.ie . It's a bit pricey, but you will definitely learn French and it will set you up for the LC, and it's good to have an additional language. I did the Spanish school term, and I came back pretty fluent in terms of speaking Spanish. I'm now studying a degree in Spanish in college. What I learned in Spain in terms of language and culture has made Spanish an easier subject in comparison to my other subject- French. I didn't spend time in France, hence why there is a difference between my languages.

Having said this I would only recommend going if you're serious on learning French. The longer you can go the better- if you go for two/three months you'll definitely come back with a great grasp of the language. On this programme you can stay with a family or a boarding school, then during the week you go to school. I would definitely recommend staying with a family, as you'll learn most of your French within the family. It's a great programme, as there's so much to get from it. If TY is gonna be boring next year, it's definitely something I'd recommend.

Of course the idea sounds shocking, but as long as you make an effort with the language, get along with your family, make friends in the school- you'll have a brilliant time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jlynch_hole18

thanks for the reply, i have seen and heard of living languages before, but you see i intend of travelling to france ( or french speaking areas ) twice.
    i am going to nice for my long time with most likely living languages.

That said i am still very interested in the skiing idea, have a look at ecole chante merle on google, my sister went there but maybe there is better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jlynch_hole18

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Itlay

To learn french!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

To learn french!
    sorry misread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chaichai121

i know a great place ti skii but i dnt no if there is anywhere to learn french at the same time so you can look up the place on the internet or something its called Les Gets its in the south east of france boardering between the french and italian alps ..... its the best place ive been to:)

Advertisement