Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a few pointers for Pole fishing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Hey Dave. Pole fishing can be very enjoyable and once you get hooked (no pun intended :D) you will find that your catch rate will increase no end. At the distance of the pole in that ad offer you will be fine fishing close in but may struggle on many venues that need you to be a bit further out. If you had a few extra quid you could do with looking for something around the 13 or 14.5 mtr length. That way you have the best of both worlds and can fish close in and at distance. You will find many poles for sale on Ebay and though they may be old for the price to be low once they have been looked after they will last you many more years to get a feel for how you like it. I'd spend as close to €200 if you can and you won't be disappointed once you get the hang of it. A lot of lads I know use the poles now and really can't fault them and they are great craic especially when playing bigger fish. if you like to know more on the subject and get some useful tips then you could join this forum and just ask your question there and the lads would be more than helpful to assist you in your quest. Best of luck with it, it can be a minefield but as I say if you get the basics right i.e. elastic strength and rigs (pre made to begin with are always a good idea) you can have some great fun with them.

Good luck ;)

p.s.
    You should also Google "pole fishing" and you will find many very useful tips and tricks and even videos n Youtube to help you on your way. Maggot Drowners forum in the UK is also a wealth of knowledge even though they are in the UK they have many knowledgeable anglers on there that will help with questions about pole fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

pole fishing is so much fun, but i dont use my pole that often as it is only 6 meters. however a small pole is ideal to learn on, if you like it, then spend money on a bigger 12-13 meter pole. I havnt done much pole fishing in the last 5 years, so my advice may be out dated, but when i was looking at poles, i found cheaper poles, 12 meters in length were very heavy at 12 meters. The browning pole should be a good starting point.
    Where do you fish on the suck? thats my local river!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd definitely recommend going for 12-13m if you can afford it, but be careful of the weight - many of the 'cheaper' poles are around 1Kg+.

That may not seem like much when you hold it while its not extended but when its extended to 13m long its a whole different kettle of fish (excuse the pun) - a few hours working at that length/weight can be a killer.

I use a Maver 201 16m which is 860gms extended - pretty good for 16m, but still heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dave_dth

Great lads thanks for the advice! Franko i fish the same places you do remember i was fishing with you last friday!!!! I actually meant to ask you about this very subject but i forgot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dave_dth wrote: »
    Great lads thanks for the advice! Franko i fish the same places you do remember i was fishing with you last friday!!!! I actually meant to ask you about this very subject but i forgot!!!

o right! didnt know it was you dave. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement