Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy testing in Limerick

Options
  • 21-03-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi!
    I hope this is in the right forum, apologies if it isn't.
    I suffer from IBS and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good allergy/food intolerance practitioner in the Limerick area please?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

If you do go to see someone of this nature - make sure they are medically qualified. There is a lot of quick buck, quick answer quackery about and use measurement of energy fields and hair analysis to give you the answer that you would be paying the most for.

However, a doctor with immunology training or a GP with a postgraduate diploma in the field will be able to do proper skin scrape testing and antibody blood tests and give you DEFINITIVE testing. These are fewer on the ground than quacks so have a good look at their credentials first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I've been to one up around Roche's Street for the same thing OP, that was about 4 years ago..
    It worked for me anyways, I'll find out tomorrow what his name is and post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

What Dr Indy said is SO important, food intolerance testing is flooded with quackery, you'd be throwing your money away if you don't attend someone medically qualified. The biggest danger is being given improper advice which when dealing with nutrition is very dangerous.

Anyway if i were you i would visit my GP to see if she can refer you to someone in the Limerick area.

It's not Limerick but there is an excellent consultant in Galway that specializes in this field. He is in the Blackrock Clinic which is on the outskirts of Galway (Limerick side) so is less than a couple hours from you. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be referred, no harm to give his office a ring to inquire. Hope this helps.

http://www.joefitzgibbon.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice. I was aware of the "quackery" that goes on regarding food intolerance testing and I will definitely go down the proper route. I'll speak to my GP and see what he says. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi just wondering did you ever go for that allergy testing and if so how did you get on,

Advertisement