Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dispute with bank

Options
  • 21-03-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi there!

i wish i would never have to seek for advice on boards.ie but thanks god i might find good advice here.

here s the situation, i went to tunisia last week and previously asked if my laser card (maestro/cirrus) would work there...

the bank certifies that yes without a doubt

it finally happened that the card didn t work due to an ''IT Problem''...hence i stayed 2 days without any money or just the least for buying food and the minimum in such a cheap country...

friends help out sending money from western union that was the only solution because my bank couldn t do anything...to solve that matter

when i called my bank they defenetely didn t do any single thing to help me...they told me to use an other service like western union...

even when there is quite good amount on my bank account they left me down...

i want to know if there is a way for me to charge them(the bank) the fees of western union and all the top up i had to do with my phone, as well as a compensation for these 2 days left over there with no money...

can someone help on that ?i might sound stupid but i m a foreign and in my country it would have been solved right away...

one thing is sure is that i am switching banks in the next couple of days
    regards to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If it was an IT issue, it may not even be your banks fault.

It may have been a local issue. If so, it is unfair to expect your bank to compensate you. Are you really trying to say you went all the way to Tunisia with no cash whatsoever. None?

When I went there a few years ago, my banklink card worked fine.

So your bank would have been quite correct in saying your card works out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Correct, your card would generally work on Tunisia. Your bank were not to know in advance that there would be an IT problem. You have said that they did nothing to help, but what could they have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lutador64

i do agree with the fact that the card should have worked...but at the end i m the customer using the card, and i couldn t do, for the cash carrying it is well advised not to carry important amounts in there for several reasons...

i just trusted 100% my payment methods and atm cards...i think the whole thing was linked to my requests because none of my cards worked

my atm one with a cirrus logo used on the right atm supported by cirrus
    and my laser...

i m confused because now i don t know who to blame...

Why look for someone to blame? You have now learned a valuable lesson. Next time, take some cash, your cirrus card, and a credit card. That way you are covered no matter what. Had you planned what you would do if you lost the card on holidays? You went off without giving any thought to a back up plan. Again, your bank had no way of knowing that you would experience IT problems. I feel sorry for you, that you were stuck there with no cash but as I asked, what were your bank to do?

in response to sarah, maestro who supports the laser service...have an emergency cash service...which i never had...all i had is we will call you back wait for our call, now i m back in ireland and noone called...

• Advertisement

I'm just unsure what advice you are looking for here?

i was looking to have an emergency cash service which is clearly mentioned in maestro s website...i didn t have it and i had to ask to friends to send over some money by western union and that caused at least 150 euros extra fees, meteor top up of 100euros that i can prove with bills and western union 40euros plus all taxi phone calls...

and as the woman in charge of the tour operator, there is 2 or 3 people who faces the same situation as me every week in there, this situation is known only with irish laser...

please don t tell me the...if they knew why the tour operator didn t warn people...the organisor herself the week before had to lend money to a couple in same situation as i was...

i just want a refund of my extra fees and the rest like doing nothing for two days not sure to eat or drink etc well i take on me...because this cannot be quantified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Simple, change you bank.

jace!

for sure it will be done in the next ten days i swear it, no way i m coming back unless big compensation...and my balance is more more more than ok an average people but the people i spoke to didn t mind it...
    i m changing tomorrow first thing process

I doubt that the bank will refund any of these charges, so changing banks will probably be your only option.

• Advertisement

well i think to be honest with the participation of you nice people...

that during that time i knew and discovered precious things...who i can rely on...who s there to help...who s your real friend...

IN FACT I DID NOT LOOSE ANYTHING I WON SOMETHING!

i wont take any action against the bank i will just take the equivalent of more than 100k out of their bank and go to an other one thats it...

please if an admin read this, close that topic.

thanks to all of u!

regards

I'm not sure that you would be entitled to take any action against the bank. I wish you better luck with whichever bank you choose to move to.

thx sarah!

may god protect your night!

see ya all

Advertisement