Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA with FAS?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to have a few spare months over summer before I start my masters, and I'm keen to not waste it and get something done. I see that FÁS are doing the CCNA - which is a hybrid of e-learning and a few labs in FÁS itself.

Has anyone done it with Fás - And if so, do you know what the cost is, and if the instruction was good? I've covered a few networking modules in college, and 2 security modules - so I don't think I'll have too much trouble with it - but I certainly want to build up my CV as I plan on heading off after my masters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hi,

There has been a few discussions on this already:

Here's one for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267816

Not sure personally how good FAS ones are but I can highly recommend CIT's CCNA evening course. Know some of the lecturers and they know their stuff. If you are willing to travel a bit it may be worth it. You can also sit exam there.

http://cisco.cit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cork is too far away I'm afraid, and that course is far too expensive.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Cork is too far away I'm afraid, and that course is far too expensive.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't call that expensive myself though but then I got to do it free through my undergrad course :)

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Fair enough. I wouldn't call that expensive myself though but then I got to do it free through my undergrad course :)

2000 is pretty expensive :P

It's a shame. They were running it here in Waterford in college for like 190 euro, but it's no longer running. I'll pop into Fás tomorrow and find out the details. I'll post them incase anyone else is interested.

2000 is pretty expensive :P

It's a shame. They were running it here in Waterford in college for like 190 euro, but it's no longer running. I'll pop into Fás tomorrow and find out the details. I'll post them incase anyone else is interested.
    For a course that runs from September until May. I don't think so :P It's a very valuable qualification.

Are you sure they charged only 190 euro. That sounds unrealistic to me :confused:

• Advertisement

For a course that runs from September until May for few nights a week. I don't think so :P It's a very valuable qualification.

Are you sure they charged only 190 euro. That sounds unrealistic to me :confused:

I'm certain. It was only for students from what I can remember.

CCNA is a solid qualification, but I don't have 2000 to pay for it. I have a decent enough networking base, so I don't need to have my hand held during it - just a bit of structured content. I've got a copy of Packet Tracer, and the latest book.

I'm certain. It was only for students from what I can remember.

CCNA is a solid qualification, but I don't have 2000 to pay for it. I have a decent enough networking base, so I don't need to have my hand held during it - just a bit of structured content. I've got a copy of Packet Tracer, and the latest book.
    Yep, I've the book.

Actually, I should recommend to you GNS3 instead of packet tracer. Packet tracer has a few limitations.

Yep, I've the book.

Actually, I should recommend to you GNS3 instead of packet tracer. Packet tracer has a few limitations.

I'll have a look into it when I get home :) Thanks.

I'll have a look into it when I get home :) Thanks.
    No problem. Best luck with it. If you have networking basics already then you might as well self teach yourself :)

Cheers dude :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement