Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting into NUIG

Options
  • 21-03-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

i applied to NUIG, science to be exact.. but its high enough points as it is, which is gonna go up cos of the increase in cao applications.. i really doint think im going to get it.. does anyoe no any backdoor ways in? Lik a PLC? Or an access course?? Please help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

i'm applying for science there as well. I know that the points could go from 325 to 350-400 roughly (i could be wrong!). Did you get your pres back? I know the marks can be unreliable but they can still give you a rough idea of what you can get. How about looking for science in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

You can do science in gmit for a year and then transfer to NUIG or Gti for a year which i belive adds 80 points to your leaving cert for one year,although I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure.There are always backdoor routes into every single course so just do some research

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'm applying for science in NUIG too :D

You could do a FETAC course as a back way in
    From Qualifax :
    -Holders of FETAC (NCVA) Level 5 qualifications with a Pass in any of the following:

CASLT Applied Science – Laboratory Techniques
    CELTX Electronic Technology
    CITXX Information Technology

and a Distinction (80% or better) in a minimum of five modules in the qualification, which must include distinctions in the modules
    C20139 Mathematics or C20174 Mathematics for Engineering or C20175 Mathematics for Computing;

and three of the following modules will be considered for entry to first year of Undenominated Science (GY301):

modules C20006 Biology, C20011 Chemistry, C20012 Computer Architecture and Systems, C20013 Computer Programming, C20016 Electronics, C20018 Electronics - Digital, C20033 Laboratory Techniques, C20040 Mechanics, C20048 Physics, One of: B20012 Database Methods or B20028 Spreadsheet Methods.

I can't see the points going up to 400 though although it did go up by 45 points last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

ciano1 wrote: »
    I can't see the points going up to 400 though although it did go up by 45 points last year
    Don't be so sure about that; no one thought science at UCD would go up 85 points and yet it did. Not to be all doom and gloom but there is a very real possibility that it will go up to 400. Hopefully it won't, but you have to be prepared and have a back up plan ready for if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LisaRoy

i got 340 in the mocks.. so its not that bad.. but i want to do earth and ocean science which is 360 now and it went up by like 80 points last time so if it does that again im screwed!!

Ciano1 whered you get all the info?? where are all those fetacs???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

Where it says 'Course provider', Pick NUI Galway..

I Got 295 in the mocks with 1 paper to go which should bring me up to about 355..

I'm hoping for at least 400 in the real thing though

Advertisement