Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videogame storage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I use these DVD towers from Ikea, they are great, and pretty much fully ajustable....

Im usually very organised but im inthe proccess of re-prganising so sorry :p

DSC03017.jpg?t=1269185888

DSC03018.jpg?t=1269185887

DSC03019.jpg?t=1269185886

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oooh they look pretty nice alright. I'm liking the low profile. It's cool the way you can then use the top of that for consoles. Would be great if you had that along the whole bottom of a room full of games with every console then sitting on top.

Unfortunately though I dont think my games would all fit in something like that. What I'm looking for is to have the standing up like books. Ideally taking up the whole wall space of a room from floor to ceiling. Think a library for games.

It's basically so you can see one game you want to play and then slide it out without having to mess with games over or under it. Or rooting through boxes.

At the moment I have my megadrive and Neo Geo carts on their sides like books, but I have games on games so you have a bit of trouble getting them out with games falling down into empty holes..and the hanging tags get in the way.

And they're the only games I have space to be like that. The rest are in boxes :(

If I had bookcases though, I could use the space that's going to waste.

Think something like this but with games instead of mags -

shelf4.jpg

Oh god, I'm drooling at the thought of that! :pac:
    I may have to go to Ikea and see if I can get something made to fit.

Edit/ this is more like it, €50 euro -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6109503/Trail/searchtext%3EBOOK+CASE.htm

Width is 78cm. A Megadrive clamshell is 3cm across. So that's 26 per shelf. Say 25 just to even it out..and give some space. So 100 per 4 shelves. 150 per unit. Although there's a bit of added space as the distance gets bigger the closer you get to the bottom. Say 160 or so carts in the whole thing. That'd probably fit the whole Megadrive collection. Not bad for 50 euro!

Going by those numbers, one should fit my combined ps2 & ps1 collection. And the rest should all proably fit in another one.

150 euro in total. Works out a lot cheaper than I'd thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way of storing/having games on display. The one thing that keeps coming up is book cases. However the shelves are too far apart, wasting valuable space.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something like this but with the shelves closer together. You'd only need at maximum the height of a DVD -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6109534/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|cat_14417894|Storage+and+shelving|14417975/c_3/3|cat_14417975|Bookcases+and+shelving|14417982.htm

They're the exact same one's I use.They're so easy to put together and hold loads.The depth is width of two dvd cases.The shelves can be adjusted up or down except the middle one which is stuck in place. I've must pick up another one for myself soon as they're a great bargain for the price.
    Games.jpg

Master of the Universe

Man! That is EXACTLY what I've wanted to get put together! Cab and all!

It's like you reached into my brain and pulled the image out of my head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I just have a shelving unit very similar to what tallon has. Although I find it's very small as each shelf only holds 25 DVD cases across. I definitely need to get some more storage space. Some excellent tips here for storing loose carts though:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That all gives me some great ideas for organising my collection, the PS and N64 stuff languished too long in a set of drawers, as has the Nes, Megadrive and the rest, whilst the PS2 stuff is taking over every available space now.

The notion of buy a set of shelves and putting them side down is genius, I don't have too much room at the sides of my converted attic, but the shelves side on would work a treat! Perfect for the PS2, PS, N64 and the rest!

Awesome, will tackle this over the next while and get back with results!

Master of the Universe

Excellent! Can't wait to see some pictures.

I may take a trip into Argos and pick up one of those bookcases. If it works, get another. Only problem is carrying it home. Might be a little long to walk through the middle of town under my arm. Could imagine that resulting in a hilarious yet dangerous accident.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Excellent! Can't wait to see some pictures.

I may take a trip into Argos and pick up one of those bookcases. If it works, get another. Only problem is carrying it home. Might be a little long to walk through the middle of town under my arm. Could imagine that resulting in a hilarious yet dangerous accident.

Get a lend of a friend with a car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I doubt it comes pre-made anyway the box or whatever might be small enough :D

Master of the Universe

Get a lend of a friend with a car :D

Sure where's the fun in that ;)

There's an Argos in Jervis street. I live down the Quays. It's about a 20 minute walk. So it's possible...but only just!
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I doubt it comes pre-made anyway the box or whatever might be small enough :D

Well the problem is the even when broken down, the sides are still 180cm! And they're solid pieces so they'll come that size flat pack.

I can see it now, someone calling my name, me turning around suddenly and smacking someone with the end of the board, 'Carry On' style, throwing them out onto the road and under a bus. :eek:

• Advertisement

Sure where's the fun in that ;)

There's an Argos in Jervis street. I live down the Quays. It's about a 20 minute walk. So it's possible...but only just!

Well all I can say is thank f*ck it's not icy anymore :P

Master of the Universe

Well all I can say is thank f*ck it's not icy anymore :P

Haha feck off! :p

I suppose if it were icy I could put the flat pack on the ground, attach a dog to the front and get him to drag me home.

I will give you a hand if you let me play some of your games for a few hours :D

Master of the Universe

You're going to hit me over the head with one of the shelves and rob all my games, aren't you?!

Oh god no... never

<.<
    >.>

Besides I could only rob about 5 and I am insanely slow you could catch me and hit me over the head with a Nintendo cartridge, I would be out for weeks :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Here's my storage -

IMGP0791.jpg

IMGP0792.jpg

Dig those shelves.

Advertisement