Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules pertaining to classic car tax and insurance.

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi to all in the classic car forum,

II'm sure these questions have being asked before but I cannot find them using the search function. Apologies if my questions seem somewhat silly or even naive to ye as I'm sure they do to some here. I would like further information regarding classic car tax and insurance.

Regarding classic car tax does a car automatically become classic at a certain age and hence qualify for classic tax or does this depend moreso on the individual model? Or indeed are there more detailed rules governing when a car becomes classic for motor tax purposes? Also if possible could somebody please provide me with a link to show classic car tax rates?

Classic car insurance, again is this determined based on a consideration of a particular model or is the year of any significance here? Also do all insurance companies provide classic car insurance or is this somewhat limited and are the rates much more favourable than the premiums for insuring the modern equivalents? Would one need to be a member of a classic car club to avail of classic car insurance generally and are there any restrictions such as limited annual mileage or otherwise generally imposed on these insurance contracts?

At the moment I have my eye on a W124 seires and W201 seires Mercedes....strictly only looking at them at the moment though!

Any answers to my long list of questions are most greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

Classic car tax = Car must be 30 years old.

Classic Insurance = Car must be 20 years old.

Most classic car insuance company's offer limited mileage policys with 2000,3000 and 4000 mile restrictions meaning the more mileage you do the more the policy costs.

The other stipulation to get a classic policy is you must have a "normal" car insured in your name .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

tax = 30 years old
    VRT= 30 years old
    insurance = around 20(actual terms vary,depends on the company)club membership not required generally
    NCT exemption= pre 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess the W124 and W201 Mercs are out of the question for classic car motor tax for a few years yet...hmm may need to broaden my search somewhat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'm sure these questions have being asked before but I cannot find them using the search function.

Hello and welcome,

Oddly enough there's a sticky at the top of this forum called "Classic Cars Charter, Info & Pics - please read before posting" :rolleyes:

Just might be worth reading ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

f4fay wrote: »
    Classic car tax = Car must be 30 years old.

Classic Insurance = Car must be 20 years old.

Most classic car insuance company's offer limited mileage policys with 2000,3000 and 4000 mile restrictions meaning the more mileage you do the more the policy costs.

The other stipulation to get a classic policy is you must have a "normal" car insured in your name .

Not necessary with Carole Nash classic car insurance. Although club membership is required.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

kadman wrote: »
    Not necessary with Carole Nash classic car insurance. Although club membership is required.

kadman

Carole nash are far more expensive than most of the other companys !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

First Ireland don't insist on a "normal" car either, and will do Mercedes and some other makes from 15 years old. Carole Nash were €260 or thereabouts for my single car policy, add another for €80 I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My insurance is up for renewal next week.

Much as I love the AXA service, they wanted €366 and I've just got a quote from Aviva for €234. (That includes a 10% discount as I have Health and Home insurance with them already). Fully comp with breakdown cover included.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

AXA worked out cheaper for me and I was very impressed with the service and how well they operate.

f4fay wrote: »
    Carole nash are far more expensive than most of the other companys !!!!

No they are not, they are the cheapest quote I got for a 1976 beetle.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No they are not, they are the cheapest quote I got for a 1976 beetle.

kadman

They weren't at the races for me, last week, I'm afraid, and I've scooted off to First Ireland. Top job, and gave me a low quote for my daily driver as well.

OP - my car(s) qualify for Classic insurance at 15, btw, so it depends on what you're looking at.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote: »
    They weren't at the races for me, last week, I'm afraid, and I've scooted off to First Ireland.

Same for me last renewal. I had Carole Nash for €288 TPFT the year before. The renewal quote hiked it up to €348 TPFT iirc. Moved to First Ireland for €325 - fully comp! And that's as my first car, not my second car!!!

That's for a '86 Porsche 928 S2 310BHP parked on the driveway, BTW.

Hi to all in the classic car forum,

Regarding classic car tax does a car automatically become classic at a certain age and hence qualify for classic tax or does this depend moreso on the individual model? Or indeed are there more detailed rules governing when a car becomes classic for motor tax purposes? Also if possible could somebody please provide me with a link to show classic car tax rates?

Classic tax only if it's ove 30, I'm afraid, so W124's are out, for a good few years yet..........

Classic tax is a flat rate of €48 iirc.

www.motortax.ie

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They weren't at the races for me, last week, I'm afraid, and I've scooted off to First Ireland. Top job, and gave me a low quote for my daily driver as well.

OP - my car(s) qualify for Classic insurance at 15, btw, so it depends on what you're looking at.

Maybe you went to the wrong race:D:D

190 euro for me+ windscreen+breakdown+legal:D, and 50 yo yo,s for any additional classic, including a classic camper.

kadman

Maybe you went to the wrong race:D:D

190 euro for me+ windscreen+breakdown+legal:D, and 50 yo yo,s for any additional classic, including a classic camper.

kadman

....ah, slow bicycle race ?? :p

First Ireland covered my 1993 Porsche for 320, and the 2nd 1994 one...for an extra 75. (all full comp, breakdown, legal, windscreen, NCB protection and personal accident......)

So, where's the start line, then ? :p

Ode To The Motorist

....ah, slow bicycle race ?? :p

First Ireland covered my 1993 Porsche for 320, and the 2nd 1994 one...for an extra 75. (all full comp, breakdown, legal, windscreen, NCB protection and personal accident......)

So, where's the start line, then ? :p

Start line:confused:................... Looks like I got to the finish line before you.:D:D Fully Comp too:P:P:P

kadman

Advertisement