Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry crossing, how long to disembark ?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, complete newbie here. We're going to France this summer, and I'm trying to plan our trip so it's not too tough on the kids (4.5 yo and 2.5 yo). Child friendly campsites, and "shortish" drives.
    Just wondering how long it takes to disembark the ferry in Cherbourg ?
    Our crossing looks to be arriving at 15h30, so if disembarking is not too long, I might stretch our drive to 2 hours coming out, as we're headed South and don't really want to hang around Basse-Normandy too long.

Any of you travelled with similar aged children ? How were they coming out on the other side (after ferry trip I mean) ? :D

I've spotted nice campsites less than an hour from the ferry too, but really I'd rather be somewhere between/in Caen and LeMans that first night, is it pushing it ?

Any tips/experience welcome. Thanks !

Also while i'm here, I'm using Google maps to plan the journeys, now I assume when they estimate 3 and a half hours drive by car, you should really add on another half hour/hour with camper, what do you think ? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

It takes about 20 mins to disembark from the ferry. You'll have a good nights sleep on the ferry so I don't think it will affect the kids too much. A DVD player and a few movies keeps the kids happy.
    We typically try to get as far as Angers for the first night but that might be pushing it as it's about 5 hrs. Once you're on the motorways 120km is a normal speed with no delays. Motorway driving is great and lots of aire de services to pull into to make a cup of coffee.
    I uses a combination of Autoroute and www.viamichelin.com to plan routes and both are quiet accurate.
    Occasionally we've stopped in Municipal sites around Granville which is about 1.5 hrs from Cherburgh, has nice beeches and harbour areas where you can watch the sun go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks Stapeler, valuable info there.
    We're actually going towards Lyon, and then motorway down South, that's why I mentioned Caen and then Le Mans.
    Seeing as disembarking is not as long as I thought, might reach Le Mans, or even pushing it if kids slept on boat, near enough to Tours.

I'm lucky I'm French and from Lyon, so I've family on the way down, in Lyon and Montelimar, for relaxing stops with meals cooked and pools to hop in :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Are you travelling BF or IF?
    We have done the IF crossing twice with smalls (17 months and 4 yrs) They loved the balloon making and the magic show, then it was off to bed and up the next morning to have breakfast and be off the ship by about 10.30.
    Did the UK crossing once - never again with kids. A nightmare.
    Anyway Bon Voyage et bonnes vacances !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Actually we're supposed to cross with Celtic Link, that's if there are still slots available for our dates, it's much cheaper than the others, and also much less child friendly as I understand... no shops or entertainment. But hopefully we'll make do with our own toys and things to keep them busy. I think the ferry leaves at 9.30 from Ireland so really they should sleep for a good bit once we're on, provided we can keep them awake until then, then there'll just be morning till 15.30.

Advertisement