Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I get your opinion on these videos?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi, I saw these videos posted elsewhere and I found them really good. I just wanted to get your thoughts on them, if you have any you'd like to share. (If nothing else they are worth a watch because of their artistic merit alone).

Do any of you identify with any of the sentiments expressed in them? Any comments you would like to make in general in reference to them?

[There is a whole series on youtube if you want to check it out, but these are the videos I saw, so they are the ones I'm starting this thread for.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm trying not to be cynical and suspect that there isn't really an alter motive at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I get that a lot Fanny (for some reason, I've never been able to hammer down the exact explanation for that reaction from people to some of the things I do). There really isn't. I just watched the two videos a few minutes before posting them here, I thought they were very interesting and I was just wondering what Christians would make of them.

[If the thread becomes a feast for trolls, lock away, but I am genuinely interested in what you guys here would make of them. Any commentary you might have, opinions on the guys experiences ect.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've watched a couple before. They are slickly edited and he raises some interesting points. But I also found him to be just a tad sanctimonious.

I haven't watched anymore of the series yet but in relation to the two videos in the OP I'd be interested to hear your opinion on what he says. When watching them it came across to me that the feelings he talks about might have been something that a lot of Christians experience at some stage. Some things I've seen people post in this forum would seem to confirm that. I'm just curious as to how people that have gone through the same thought process and asked the same questions as him might have responded to them. Or if they never did, then why not? And do they think they ever will and if they ever do how they think they might react to it. Also in regards to the guy in the videos in particular, what you(plural) might think have resulted in him moving away from Chritianity where others have stayed with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

What was his professors name? What were his credentials in the area of religion? And what made him an expert in the de-conversion from it? In the vids he was portrayed as some sort of coach who was very experienced in assisting with his student's de-conversion from religion to his world view. Would love to know this information because when I do I will be able to give you a better reply.

All I can say for now is that they were the most boring 17 minutes of my life. :(

• Advertisement

Professor M, Professor Oppenheimer, Professor Alexis? Is that really the main question that comes to your fingertips SW? For the thread let's presume the professor was Mr Ben in one of his wacky costumes after he stepped into the changing room (I wonder will anyone get that reference). I think the narrators experience, and what he has to say about it is supposed to be the focus of the videos rather than what colour socks he wore the day he bought the video camera to film it......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

strobe wrote: »
    Professor M, Professor Oppenheimer, Professor Alexis? Is that really the main question that comes to your fingertips SW? For the thread let's presume the professor was Mr Ben in one of his wacky costumes after he stepped into the changing room (I wonder will anyone get that reference). I think the narrators experience, and what he has to say about it is supposed to be the focus of the videos rather than what colour socks he wore the day he bought the video camera to film it......

Not so. Re-listen back to the vids again and you'll notice a subtle sleight of hand on the part of his professor where it relates directly to this poor guy's loss of faith. Nowhere do I hear any refutation of the Christian faith, just some subtle suggestions to that end but with no substantive argumentation whatsoever. Basically all the vids say to me is that the guy was stupid once (i.e. was a Christian) and then got smart (i.e. forsook his faith). blah di blah di blah etc etc... The professor is central and that's why I need to know his name and credentials in this area so as to find out if he is someone who is qualified to speak in this area or is he just a biased professor with some axe to grind.

BTW unfortunately I am old enough to get the Mr Ben gag :D

Advertisement