Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin advice

Options
  • 21-03-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm a New Yorker moving to Dublin in a month for work. My office will be in the docklands area. I'm 25/m/single. I have no limit on my rent as my work will be paying it. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,878 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mmille24 wrote: »
    I'm a New Yorker moving to Dublin in a month for work. My office will be in the docklands area. I'm 25/m/single. I have no limit on my rent as my work will be paying it. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

I'll start off with suggesting Sandymount/Ballsbridge (southside). this will give you an estimated half hour commute door to door by train. While being near the city centre yet you will have access to open spaces. The area would be described as mature or "leafy" and would give you 10/15min taxi ride from the city centre.
    If you prefer "city living" shouldnt be too hard to find something with a 20 minute walk or so or even within the docklands area but the IFSC area tends to be a bit dead at the weekends and it does back on to some unsavory areas.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Grand Canal Dock? Just across the river from IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks!

Depends on what your looking for. Ballsbridge/Sandymount is very nice (nice beach/area), but there isnt much there in there isnt much in the way of shops/pubs/restaurants.

I would go for grand canal as your only about 15 Min walk from work and the city centre (Temple bar/Grafton st/Henry st). As you wont really have that much time.

Have a look at daft.ie or myhome.ie for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

Fairview area maybe?
    Nice area and you wouldn't have any problems getting to work and back quickly, whatever the traffic is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

I'd prefer if I could just walk to work. So the Grand Canal dock sounds like a good fit.

What is it like there? Someone had told me it can be a little shady down there at night. Is that true?

What about the docklands area in IFSC (Dublin 1)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,878 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd prefer if I could just walk to work. So the Grand Canal dock sounds like a good fit.

What is it like there? Someone had told me it can be a little down there at night. Is that true?

I used to work in the IFSC and to be honest I dont think I'd like to live there, its not completed as a work/live district at it wouldnt be the safest place at night (not full of psychos more so the local kids that are a tad ferral).

Grand canal is probably better and has a compact feel ot it, but again its a bit of an "island" and you probably wouldnt feel safe walking back from town if you were out at night.

If general safety is a concern (even if exaggerated:P) then you are looking at the nicer parts of D2 near Stephens Green/Baggot Street/Leason St area, but its mostly offices, if your walking tolerance is around 30min you should be able to get something.

Going back to my D4 suggestion, near Lansdowne Dart station is your best bet. It puts you in easy walking distance of Baggot St and the south side of town.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

What is it like there? Someone had told me it can be a little shady down there at night. Is that true?

Same for that area.

I live in Ballsbridge at the end nearest the docks. 30 minute walk and you are there. I would recommend it.

Just one example. www.daft.ie/2859061
    Better value rentals than grand canal dock imo if you are comparing yields.
    Baggot st has all the shops and pubs you want from a local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I lived near grand canal for over a year and I really liked it. There are a few restaurants/pubs around there. You are very close to town (15min walk) and 25 mins walk to the beach. The area used to be rough about 10/15 years ago but its been completely rebuilt now and I would have no problem walking around there at night (You would have to keep your wits about you the same as any city centre). I am sure you would find it on par with ncy or even safer

IFSC is very quite at the weekends, the same as most financial districts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The George's Street area is great if you want to be smack bang in the middle of the night life scene, but want to live on a fairly quiet street. (I lived there for 10 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

The Southside of the city is generally considered more desirable than the Northside.

Ranelagh is a lovely area: 5 minute tram ride to the city centre, although probably a 20 minute walk to the IFSC from there. But very pretty and groovy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,353 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Might it make sense to get work to find you somewhere for the first two weeks and then you can pick for yourself?

It does make sense to find somewhere close to work and whatever else you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you broaden your scope to include places on the dart/luas line then you can get some extremely nice places. As far from town as Sandyford and Greystones. The luas only takes about 25 minutes from Sandyford, I am not too sure about the DART though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

has to be rathmines/rathgar. Lovely area. Nice pubs and restaurants. Luas stop right into stephens green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The OP would have to walk from Stephens Green to the Docklands just after getting off the Luas. It depends how much time the OP wants to commute if getting Luas and walk as that walk can take 20minutes if going to the IFSC for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

neil_hosey wrote: »
    has to be rathmines/rathgar. Lovely area. Nice pubs and restaurants. Luas stop right into stephens green.

Luas doesn't go through Rathgar or Rathmines. Maybe you are thinking of Ranelagh, which I mentioned above? If so, I agree it's a great area but as gurramok points out, it is a 20 minute walk from the Ranelagh Luas terminus to the IFSC, so it depends whether that's an issue for OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Dublin 6 ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

If you are a woman, I don't think the docklands at night is the safest place in the world.

Balsbridge is a really great area, you might want to get the bus though than walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Walking to\from Grand Canal Dock with respect to town is grand in daytime. I don't know if any woman would walk home anywhere at night to any particular area at night, common sense says get a taxi.
    I would choose anywhere between Baggot st and GCDock to be within walking distance of work when ruling out public transport. If using public transport and working southside, try Landsdowne\Baggot st as suggested by Silverharp2.

Are you working on the northside or southside?

As I live a stones throw from GCD, there are a few rn'ts and pubs there near the new theatre and it is generally safe at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

posgoofy wrote: »
    If you are a woman,.

He's a guy, see the first post. If I were you I'd go for somewhere in the city centre. You're young, free and single as you say! Who wants to get public transport if it can be avoided! Go for somewhere within 30 mins walk for work.

Most of the city centre is fairly alright. Around Amien St/ Marlborough St/ Ballybough can be a bit rough and parts of Pearse St aren't the best either. Whereever you end up don't sign up to a very long lease, so as you get to know the city you can move if were you find yourself doesn't quite suit you.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

Victor wrote: »
    Might it make sense to get work to find you somewhere for the first two weeks and then you can pick for yourself?

It does make sense to find somewhere close to work and whatever else you need.

Yes, luckily work will be providing temporary residence for 30 or 60 days (if need be), I'm not sure where it's located but I believe it's very close to Stephen's Green.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I guess I'd really like to stay around Stephen's Green or on Baggot Street somewhere. I've been looking on daft and it doesn't seem like there are that many places around the park. City living is all I have known, so I don't mind the noise and rowdiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

Yes, luckily work will be providing temporary residence for 30 or 60 days (if need be), I'm not sure where it's located but I believe it's very close to Stephen's Green.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I guess I'd really like to stay around Stephen's Green or on Baggot Street somewhere. I've been looking on daft and it doesn't seem like there are that many places around the park. City living is all I have known, so I don't mind the noise and rowdiness.

Theres always the other park/square

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.335193,-6.252488&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=53.334839,-6.250309&sspn=0.002819,0.008594&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

I live in this area and its modern, safe and in the hub of things.

Advertisement