Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Developer Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Its organisation leaves a lot to be desired! I looked up the Developer Days bit of the website, which had no details on the Dublin one. I emailed that address in the SR article, and got nothing back for days, but then got an 800KB image attachment with just the same details again (date/time/etc.) and to RSVP. I did RSVP but haven't heard back since.

Also, I applied to become a "partner" so I could download the SDK, but haven't heard anything back on that either!

I think I'll just turn up on the day, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

Absolutely agree that it could have been organized better, that's the whole problem with Samsung really. They do have resources but somehow fail to manage fairly simple things, look at their developers website for example: innovator.samsungmobile.com - what a mess! Even the new Bada website - http://developer.bada.com Developers day, huh? Where's the dates???

I'd like to ask them if they're going to get their act togeather somehow, they _DO_ have a lot of phones out there, especially in US.

Did you email samsung@cmsmarketing.com ? I did so myself last friday, and was invited. (I'm independent dev, not representing any company, etc.)

Anton

Went along and, sure enough, my badge was at the door waiting for me. A decent enough event.

However, they explained the level of developer least 5 times. There was a basic developer (Joe Soap, and companies) and a Partner developer (large corporates needing special access). Each time they clearly said that the SDK/IDE was available to the basic level of developer.

Anyone find how to download the bleedin' thing? Any time I access the SDK/IDE link under Development Tools, I get a page saying it's restricted to partner access only. Same thing for the forums.

Well, they said they'll be releasing IDE for general public in April or something?

They did, but they said non-partner registered developers had access "now", and even showed screenshots of where to go to download it (but, of course, on the real site, you were prompted to apply to be a partner).

Rumours now suggesting it could even be May at this stage!

• Advertisement

It was advertised on one of the russian forums that you can apply for early access (you'd have to sign an NDA) to get it now. I didn't do it yet though.
    cgarvey wrote: »
    They did, but they said non-partner registered developers had access "now", and even showed screenshots of where to go to download it (but, of course, on the real site, you were prompted to apply to be a partner).

Rumours now suggesting it could even be May at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

To those of you who are planning on going to this: Why on earth would anyone want to develop apps for it? Does it have any advantage over iPhone Apps/ Andriod market?

I hadn't heard of it before seeing this thread but it seems to me that its just an attempt for Samsung to have their own app store - which will never catch up with the iPhone - even android is having a hard time catching up - and there are quite a few handsets using android now.

Hope I don't come across as shooting it down too much, I'm genuinely curious as to why people would want to develop for it?

I'm not quite ready to do it myself yet, but two factors make it attractive: lack of apps bada and samsungs competition that pays cash prizes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

lack of apps isn't always a good thing - it also means lack of potential users. If your app was to turn out to be a great idea on bada - you could only ever have few users...and you'ld probably find someone else copying your app and releasing it on iphone/android where it has a chance to have a big userbase.

Cash prizes are always tempting tho! :)

anton wrote: »
    It was advertised on one of the russian forums that you can apply for early access (you'd have to sign an NDA) to get it now.

So a new level between developer and partner? Madness, if that's the case?
    _tony_ wrote: »
    To those of you who are planning on going to this
    Even now, they sell many more devices than iPhone/iPod Touch. Also, they're planning on making Bada devices available for much cheaper (an iPhone Shuffle type of market) which would mean access to a decent-sized market. It might not be anything close to an iPhone/iTunes killer, but it's definitely got potential.

• Advertisement

Not quite, as far as I know it's not a new level. It's just their Russian developer liason department is bit more active. They've opened Samsung
    blog on Russian analog of boards.ie and making some effort to attract developers there.
    Even now, they sell many more devices than iPhone/iPod Touch. Also, they're planning on making Bada devices available for much cheaper (an iPhone Shuffle type of market) which would mean access to a decent-sized market. It might not be anything close to an iPhone/iTunes killer, but it's definitely got potential.

That's true. Then again, the question of userbase. In my expirience people
    who don't buy iphones, androids etc are less likely to be interested in
    buying apps for their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I was at this too and also wasn't given access to the SDK because I wasn't a partner... very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

In case you didn't know already, this is available now

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Yes, Bada has big potential, the SDK has been out since Dec 09, have been playing with it for a few months and needless to say: the handset is darn sexy and smooth, plus the SDK is C++ orientated which is more than enough to keep me happy as a pig in shoite!!!

I do believe this handset the wave is by far the best I've ever seen, and at a remarkably much cheaper price then the iPhone. I am actively on the bada forums and on IRC most of the time....

Advertisement