Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 won't recognise Hard Drive?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I recently upgraded my external hard drive from a 320GB Seagate to a 1.5 TB Western Digital.

I used to connect the hard drive to the xbox to watch movies etc but the 360 can't 'see' the new one?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Im in the same boat with a 500gb Western Digital

is there a site where we could get a firmware upgrade maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have ye both made sure the harddrives are formatted in FAT32?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

both of you need to check if the hardrive are formatted in fat32. They're probalby formatted in NTFS and thats the reason xbox won't see them.

To format hdd in fat32 use this.

EDIT: amacachi was quicker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

cheers guys that sounds like it would work, am I right in assuming I will lose all my data if I do this however?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

cheers guys that sounds like it would work, am I right in assuming I will lose all my data if I do this however?

Yea, you will lose all data on the drive. You will also be limited to a 4GB file size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You could try resize the partition , then format the space you have left over to be fat 32. When you plug it into your pc it will be reconised as two drives, as in two new drive letters will appear. It depends on the use of your HD but doing the above gives you the best of both worlds .

Resizing a partition can be risky though, I've never had problems but to be safe i would back up the irreplaceable things such as photos or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

Thanks for all the info folks.

Wish I had looked into this before I put the 400+ GB of files on the new hard drive....

Drats, and double drats!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

This happened to me yesterday. It was working fine and it suddenly stopped recognising the external hard drive. Thing is I didn't format the HD. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

censuspro wrote: »
    This happened to me yesterday. It was working fine and it suddenly stopped recognising the external hard drive. Thing is I didn't format the HD. Any ideas?

Apparently this has happened to a few people since the new update which allowed USB profile backups, etc. Looks like a reformat is on the cards because there doesn't seem to be a fix.

The best tool for formatting is probably Swissknife, which will allow you to format any size drive to FAT32.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

this also happened to me, HDD is FAT32 and was working fine just the day before... :(

• Advertisement

I reformatted my external HD to FAT 32 and xbobx still wont recognise?

Any suggestions on what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I reformatted my external HD to FAT 32 and xbobx still wont recognise?

Any suggestions on what to do?

5 months to format? You obviously used the windows tool to do it :p

Have you tried all the different USB ports etc?

EnterNow wrote: »
    5 months to format? You obviously used the windows tool to do it :p

Have you tried all the different USB ports etc?

I moved around a bit in the past 5 months so I didnt get a chance to do it until now. Tried different USB ports but no joy.

Any other suggestions?

I moved around a bit in the past 5 months so I didnt get a chance to do it until now. Tried different USB ports but no joy.

Any other suggestions?

Assuming the drive is enumerated on a pc, recognised and formattable...it has to be a 360 issue from here. Have you installed any updates between when the old drive worked, and when this new one didn't?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Assuming the drive is enumerated on a pc, recognised and formattable...it has to be a 360 issue from here. Have you installed any updates between when the old drive worked, and when this new one didn't?

I read on another forum that xbox stopped users from connecting devices that weren't xbox "approved" in the last update?

I read on another forum that xbox stopped users from connecting devices that weren't xbox "approved" in the last update?

Oh really? Can anyone verify this? I actually thought it was the other way around, with usb sticks etc now being allowed to do things which was previously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I've had a similar problem with an ipod, the xbox won't recognise it but will recognise my housemates ipod? Can't figure it out for the life of me:confused:

I've sent an email off to their support, I'll post any updates.

Advertisement