Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexuality in pride & prejudice and wuthering heights

Options
  • 20-03-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,
    im in first year in college and am currently stuck on my english essay title :O

"Compare and contrast how Austen and Bronte represent sexuality in P&P and Wuthering Heights".

Im sure to most of you, this may seem pretty easy, but not to me!
    Being the silly girl i am, i havent actually finished either books and know i wont have the time to as the essay is due in 3 days.
    Ive seen both films and know all the themes, characters, plots etc.

But how do you think i should go about answering this?!
    Ive already made a start on it, but dont want to keep referring to the 'sexual tension' between Elizabeth and Darcy.

Some opinions and advice on how to tackle the title would be much appreciated!!
    thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Try and get an extension, read the books and hand the essay in late. You can't really expect to write an essay for English literature based on the film, however faithful the adaptation, it will be clear that you haven't read the book and are unlikely to do well. University lecturers can be surprisingly sympathetic, particularly in first year.

Failing that, skim read the books and work from there. College can be overwhelming, but getting people to do your assignments for you is only going to be detrimental to you in the long term. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Use JSTOR or Project Muse and look at the academic journals theres lots for Bronte and Austin's works. I really hope you know this alreay though...:o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Have a look on sparknotes; both of those novels are on there and the website gives pretty good chapter summaries! I had to resort to this for an essay on Don Quijote!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Try and get an extension, read the books and hand the essay in late. You can't really expect to write an essay for English literature based on the film, however faithful the adaptation, it will be clear that you haven't read the book and are unlikely to do well. University lecturers can be surprisingly sympathetic, particularly in first year.

Failing that, skim read the books and work from there. College can be overwhelming, but getting people to do your assignments for you is only going to be detrimental to you in the long term. Best of luck.

The lemony one speaks sense, OP. Your lecturers are very expeienced in their subject, and in the ways of students. It will be incredibly, insanely obvious that you haven't done the work.

They will probably be sympathetic if you approach them by asking for help.

They will probably be less sympathetic if you hand in a piece of crap and hope they are stupid enough to fall for it. It's a very insulting thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The suggestions by all the previous respondents are very true. At the risk of sounding preachy, the books aren't that long. Ive read both of them in the last 3 weeks, they took about a week each and I spend very little of my time reading (damn Boards.ie :pac:).

On first look the essay title is rather hard. Both books are a very covert on sexuality in the normal sense. In Pride and Prejudice none of the characters actually make physical contact. Wuthering Heights is little more forthright. Perhaps the titles use of the word "sexuality" is different to my own assumed definition, which would include a physical aspect. Looking at the (very poor) Google dictionary, we get:
    1. A person's sexuality is their sexual feelings.
    2. You can refer to a person's sexuality when you are talking about whether they are sexually attracted to people of the same sex or a different sex.

So the title is probably aiming for number 2, and maybe using "sexually attracted" to mean any kind of inter-gender love interaction. Using this extremely wide definition you open up the possibilities immensely. You could probably talk about class and social position, and how these impact upon inter-gender relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

You could try going on a website and ask somebody else to do the work for you.
    I presume that you are studying English. If you get through this I hope you get to pick a different subject for degree. All we need is some more English teachers who don't read.
    Maybe this is where the grade inflation controversy comes from.

Advertisement