Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

know anywhere that isnt too expensive??

Options
  • 20-03-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Looking for somewhere in and around dublin city centre,
    lets be honest.. some places are a complete rip off as of lately,
    ive got my 3 done in crazy cats in ballyfermot but i would like to try somewhere new as its now out of the way for me.
    is there anywhere in town that isnt too expensive, but has excellent quality artists and a good rep...?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Looking for somewhere in and around dublin city centre,
    lets be honest.. some places are a complete rip off as of lately,
    ive got my 3 done in crazy cats in ballyfermot but i would like to try somewhere new as its now out of the way for me.
    is there anywhere in town that isnt too expensive, but has excellent quality artists and a good rep...?

Thanks! :D

shopping for tattoos by price is for suckers, no lie.

everywhere in the city centre has a minimum charge, mostly 80 euro, maybe a tenner either way.

are you really going to pick a place based on that tenner? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

@ Bodice,, i think the op's name says it all... monkeycmonkeydo.....a cheap tattoo is a bad tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 unluckystar

Got my tattoo done in Eagle Studio on Capel Street about 5 years ago. Think it cost around 70 euro. Going to get another tattoo soon, does anyone know if Eagle Studio is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Sorry, had to with that username!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rower2K8

golden cat on Fleet Street, Temple Bar have a mim of 60e but the others are right you get what you pay for. I had two of my tattoo done there and there not to top standard wouldnt recommand the place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

InkWell out in Smithfield had a minimum of €50 a few months back, as far as I know. And John in there is top-notch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

he asked for a place with a good rep and good artist that isnt over charging, not for a cheap ass place. JMD here in waterford is very good but charges a bomb. yakuza down here is also very good but doesnt charge mental prices like the other fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 monkeycmonkeydo

i cannot believe some people are actually judging me based on a silly username :eek:,
    i think ill give inkwell a look see,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

i cannot believe some people are actually judging me based on a silly username :eek:,

Nah, I think they were just using your username as a nice tie in for their points. I tend to agree though, you get what you pay for. I'm not sure I'd like getting inked by a cheap artist. That's just personal preference though. I'd say pop in to a few with ideas and have a look at their previous work.

Best of luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't think anyone was actually judging you on it, think they were just having a laugh to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

in an ally in limerick :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

I don't think anyone was actually judging you on it, think they were just having a laugh to be honest.

Yep he's true!!!!!! (look at my username :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think some of the posters on here have been unfair to the OP. He has asked for a non-expensive artist not a cheapo artist, and he's right to do so relative to the complexity of his tattoo. The maxim that a cheap tattoo is a bad tattoo is misleading and untrue to a great degree.
    To the OP, base your artist selection on portfolio as compared to price, if you're looking for a Koi or Jap Dragon go to an artist with a history of doing such tattoo, same goes for Black and grey and all other styles. Expect to pay €80 minimum charge and about 100 -- 120 per hour for a decent artist. Anyone tattooing in Ireland (with very, very few exceptions) charging €150 or over, these days is chancing their arm and I would say that their high rate fools some people into thinking they're better than they really are.
    If the tattoo you desire is basic as hell I dont see anything wrong with having price be a factor in your decision, just dont let hygiene standards be a victim of your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

@ Bodice,, i think the op's name says it all... monkeycmonkeydo.....a cheap tattoo is a bad tattoo.

well now that's simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Maybe not, but it would be a very very rare occasion where a 'cheap' tattoo would be of the quality that you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

SV wrote: »
    well now that's simply not true.

S.M.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

S.M.A.

Ehm..what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I think the hourly rate in South Ink in Rathmines is €65, my girlfriend got a big tattoo there and i would say it was of good quality and a good price. The guys name is Eoin....nice guy too.

And im not connected to this place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jagp

Removed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I can vouch for Eoin @ South Ink too - he's done all 5 of mine and I heart every one of them :D

He does seem to charge a bit less, I think this is due to lower overheads in rathmines vs town rather than a reflection of his work though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement