Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best talent build for DK tank?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Can some point one me in the direction of a good talent build for a DK tank. I did have blood, and tbh i really liked it, especially good for keeping your own health up. But i found my damage done was very lacking, so i decided to change. Now i have a frost build, which im not really liking that much, plus my damage is still very low.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&cn=Stinkymunkey

Any link to a good build would would be really helpful. Ive been told unholy is the way to go. Ive tried looking at builds myself, but there is so many different ones, it makes my head hurt trying to figure which is for me.

Bear in mind, i use my tank spec for 5 man hc's, the very odd 10 man and doing the weekly. Ive no time to raid, and never will have. I also grind the odd lower lvl dungeon for an ach, mount or pet.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEGVh0IcbobssxhxZ0gh:Gdi0mV

Will be the number spec for DK tanks for the coming patch, pretty damn good now actually. And I'm a tad confused, you want more damage? Why?

And you've a weird mixture for gear too.(No offence ment) Can I ask do you have difficulty getting into 10man's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is the spec i use on my DK for tanking. Works fine for me, but its not great at initial aoe threat:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sunstrider&cn=Kontraban

I always found AOE tanking best on a frost DK, and single target threat on a blood spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEGVh0IcbobssxhxZ0gh:Gdi0mV

Will be the number spec for DK tanks for the coming patch, pretty damn good now actually. And I'm a tad confused, you want more damage? Why?

And you've a weird mixture for gear too.(No offence ment) Can I ask do you have difficulty getting into 10man's?

No offense taken what so ever, all advice is much welcomed. As far as im aware i have the correct gear for tanking, as well as gemmed ok, the right enchants and armor addons. I know a tanks job is basicially being a meatshield and to keep aggro off your party, but being able to do that little bit more damage with the gear and talent build will always come in handy. As i said in the initial post i rarely do 10 man's. Ive only tanked 2 weeklys (being that im new to tanking, and only been tanking 3 or so weeks) and 2 toc 10 man. I stood in as tank when we wiped 2 to 3 times for the first weekly, and we did it on my first try. Both toc wiped, but no one looked in my direction or the other tanks for that matter, the dps didnt seem to know what was happening and made a hash of it.
    Anti wrote: »
    This is the spec i use on my DK for tanking. Works fine for me, but its not great at initial aoe threat:

I always found AOE tanking best on a frost DK, and single target threat on a blood spec.

I mostly dont have to much trouble keeping aggro up, unless some eejit is in a hurry and pulling mobs before i even start to aggro, which i then tell them "they pull it, they tank it". Tbh, i kinda prefer blood to frost, maybe because ive pretty much used blood for so long now. But people are always raving on about you need the right build to tank properly, and im in over my head trying to figure out which is better. I think ill give yours and bash and see what happens:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Anti wrote: »

Dont pay any attention to him.

Worst.
    Tank.
    Ever.

Like i said, my build isn't great for aoe tanking, its fine if the dps know not to start aoe spamming like a bunch of ****tards before i've even got to the boss, but i will never be able to hold aoe threat like a loladin does. In frost though.... Its just fantastic for aoe tanking, as you will get a proc(cant remember the name of it, something like killing machine) that will make your next frost ability a 100% crit, and with howling blast being your main aoe ability as a frost tank its quite awesome. I haven't been frost in a few months, but on large aoe packs, i could often out dps quite alot of the raid (Think 15 mobs, all being critted for 6k+, and this was back in 226/232 gear)Although i believe it has been nerfed since then.

I also hate to say it, as i never used to gem or trinket for stam, but it really seems to be king these days. Just stam gem everything, while keeping your meta socket bonus.

• Advertisement

Shougeki wrote: »
    Dont pay any attention to him.

Worst.
    Tank.
    Ever.

Shut your whore mouth.

All my jems are stam, bar the one i need for the meta. And when i checked your char on wow armory, all enchants and armour addons are the same bar one, the +22 stam you have on your feet (i have +18:P). I prolly have to get my rotation sorted alot better on any build i do use, cause atm im only doing bout 1.5k on the dps, and ive seen tanks tops on recount, granted with alot better gear. But i was doing 1.5k on my hunter in greens and blues :p.

Remember, as a tank it is not your job to do dps. It is simply to controll movement of the mobs your dps are trying to kill, while timing your cool downs properly.

The extra 1k dps that i do over you is a rain drop in the ocean compared to what the dps can do.

As for rotation. I always drop DnD first, then Icy Touch>Plague Strike>Pestulance>(if more then 1 mob)>Blood strike>Blood boil>Rune Tap>Blood boil>Heart strike. Obviously weaving in run strike as soon as its available. Then after that its a case of keeping the diseases up. I know its not the perfect rotation, but works great for me.

A addon you might find handy is MiKscrolling battle text. It needs quite a bit of configuring to stop it being spammy as hell, but it will bring up a nice text display in the middle of you screen when a ability is off colldown, or when a item procs (Ring,trinket etc etc)

Thats pretty much the rotation i used when i had blood as my build. And with multiple mobs my damage always shot up ofc.

There has been times when only the healer and myself have been the only ones left standing, due to the dps putting out really bad damage and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, therefore getting spanked hard. When this happens, it tends to become a bit of a marathon trying to take the mobs or boss down. When the dps is good, this tends not to be a problem.

I do find that if someone is doing insane dps, my job gets harder, but its still better than people doing bad dps.

I found tanking very hard at the start cause ive always been a dps. But now that im finding my feet, im starting to enjoy it. That and the wait time for hc's is now only a couple mins max, even at the time i play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Amen't able to get to the computer for a while so cant link my build atm (dominatas-auchindoun, also look at lycifer on the same realm, hopefully he'll be in his tanking gear). And yes i know my gear sucks atm, 14 hour played at 80. Anti's rotation for tanking is dead on (just get rid of blood boil for bosses/solo mobs for death strike). You should have this macro for your main abilities (IC,PS,DS,HS)-

/Cast Icy Touch
    /Cast !Rune Strike

It will cast rune Strike whenever it is up and you have runes, should boost your DPS a bit:) use death coil whenever you have a lot of runic power, at the start of a boss fight, use hysteria and dancing rune weapon (if you have the runic power) and then go through the rotation ->IC, PS, DS, HS, HS, (that ability to reset rune cooldowns that i cant remember the name of) then HS, HS, HS, PEST, HS, HS, then continue normal boss rotations, its very good for keeping chro when you have those stupid high DPSers with no brains and also a significant DPS boost. At the end of the day, its all about your timing, if you are hitting your runes as soon as possible with the rune Strike macro and using death coil then theres not much else you can do to boost DPS. Cant see your armoury atm, if you haven't got a high DPS weapon then that should be your prio atm. I went from some crappy blue for dtk i think to my current from FoS norm and the difference in DPS and threat was insane. Must've boosted my DPS while tanking by a few hundred like! Good luck :)

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Banned for 2 weeks - permanent ban next time unless you learn to play nicely

Orly:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Did I say 2 weeks... I meant 2 minutes!

It has been proven to just be banter between two RL friends, but try to avoid what can easily be misconstrued as personal attacks please guys.

No problemo, horse.

magicianz wrote: »
    Amen't able to get to the computer for a while so cant link my build atm (dominatas-auchindoun, also look at lycifer on the same realm, hopefully he'll be in his tanking gear). And yes i know my gear sucks atm, 14 hour played at 80. Anti's rotation for tanking is dead on (just get rid of blood boil for bosses/solo mobs for death strike). You should have this macro for your main abilities (IC,PS,DS,HS)-

/Cast Icy Touch
    /Cast !Rune Strike

It will cast rune Strike whenever it is up and you have runes, should boost your DPS a bit:) use death coil whenever you have a lot of runic power, at the start of a boss fight, use hysteria and dancing rune weapon (if you have the runic power) and then go through the rotation ->IC, PS, DS, HS, HS, (that ability to reset rune cooldowns that i cant remember the name of) then HS, HS, HS, PEST, HS, HS, then continue normal boss rotations, its very good for keeping chro when you have those stupid high DPSers with no brains and also a significant DPS boost. At the end of the day, its all about your timing, if you are hitting your runes as soon as possible with the rune Strike macro and using death coil then theres not much else you can do to boost DPS. Cant see your armoury atm, if you haven't got a high DPS weapon then that should be your prio atm. I went from some crappy blue for dtk i think to my current from FoS norm and the difference in DPS and threat was insane. Must've boosted my DPS while tanking by a few hundred like! Good luck :)

Ive got a 4700 gs and have the tyrannical beheader i picked up at PoS.

Was doing a hc last night when some pally kept pulling all the mobs. I wasnt going quick enough for him. Anyway, he made a very bad pull and nearly got us wiped, only for the healer was good. And then proceeded to tell me i cant keep aggro for ****e. Thankfully, there aint to many kids on when i play at night, after the vote to kick failed (that i started) , i just left the group with my buddy and he was left there standing with his lad in his hand. That was the first hc of the night, myself and my buddy then joined random again and got in another hc in seconds.

Think ill take a more hardline approach to eejits like this in future. They pull once, i warn em, they pull twice, vote kick or i bail. Since i starting tanking, i find i can pretty much get in a hc within seconds. And when i do bail it will be in middle of boss fight:D.

Just noticed now when looking at your gear, you are 5.5% under hit cap and about the same for expertise cap too. Being under on these can really screw with your threat building. Not much you can do about it though, without changing gems, or getting new gear :(

Advertisement