Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which areas on Tullamore are not getting water from Sillougue Well?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Is it only the Clonminch area and beyond that are still lucky enough to get their water from the old town water supply?

Ive recently moved from Clonminch to Arden, and the lime in the water from the Durrow well, is driving my skin and scalp mad with itch!!
    We're in rented accomodation, so a softener is not an option, plus my parents have a softener and whatever chemicals they use in that breaks me out in a rash, so it wouldnt be a runner anyway.

So only option is to move. :(

But i want to make sure we move to somewhere thats still on the town supply.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

as far as i know its broadly divided by the canal. if you live the railway side of the canal then you get clonaslee... if you live the other side such as ardan you get sillogue well. only in a house 9 months and already the shower is gone with the lime..they never tell you that when you buy it of course that they dont fit water softeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks for that.

Really the water should be softened at source. When they did switch the water supply for Arden, they never even told anyone, until everyone started complaining about lime killing their kettles and showers. Disgraceful really, but like everything, they dont care.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thank god Durrow arnt getting the water from there.
    Some stories about that well. Its seemingly bottomless;)
    Remember hearing a few stories from ould lads back when it was a pool of water in the woods. Is it really that bad??

Its awful! I seem to spend my days just scratching! Head, skin, its driving me cracked! :mad:
    And dont get me started on the amount of vinegar im going through cleaning shower heads! :mad:

Where does Durrow get its water from?

And why are we the poor sods getting landed with this crap water and not Durrow?! :rolleyes:

Do ya know the Tullamore side of the gates of the Abbey?? Theres a big wall there. Thats where the water was got years ago until the man that owned the abbey got thick and built the wall around it and padlocked the door of it. If you look in through the gaps in the door you can see a big pool of water. About a week later a spring burst up the opposite of the road and Durrow gets it there ever since:)
    Its limey too but by the sound of things, not as bad.

• Advertisement

Might have to move to durrow so! :D

Great place but lack of eh... everything would put you off.
    Good when your a child what with the countless fields and forests and abbey, but when you begin to notice beer and the opposite sex it hasnt much to offer:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Midlander1

I live on Daingean Rd and since last September or October we have been getting silt and lime in the water supply. I used live on the North Side of the bridge and we had it there 3 years ago. The Town Council said there was no change to our supply but I found that they lied. What can I do aboout it. The people have a right to know. It's a bad thing when our public representatives know whats going on an cover it up. Shame on the whole fecking lot of them.

At the moment im on the Daingean road too. Only for the minute though. Theres a saying in Durrow.. A <insert my family name> will never leave Durrow. I have and il be going back, as bad as it is.
    depends where on the Daingean road you live, where you get your water. Are you past Cappincur? No need to be specific. There is water schemes there too you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Midlander1

I live near Cluain Darach. We have the mains water supply on the road. My bloody electric kettle died in a matter of a month due to this gunk in the water. Hate to think what the inside of my washing machine is like.

• Advertisement

Midlander1 wrote: »
    I live near Cluain Darach. We have the mains water supply on the road. My bloody electric kettle died in a matter of a month due to this gunk in the water. Hate to think what the inside of my washing machine is like.

yea im on Ballinagar water supply. Not too bad but changing the shower head alot. Cleaning it i mean. Not too bad kettle wise and we'd be using it to boil bottles a lot for the baby

Advertisement