Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Relations

Options
  • 20-03-2010 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey guys, im just wondering if there is an undergraduate course at Trinity that would have some sort of focus on international relations or is this mainly covered at postgraduate level?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Politics courses would cover some international relations... http://www.tcd.ie/Political_Science/undergraduate/

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Hi Dante10, I do Politics in TCD. There's a second year,year-long course devoted to International Relations, which acts as a kind of introductory course covering the basic aspects of IR. Then in fourth year there's a 'Contemporary International Relations' course, which looks at institutions like the UN and EU.

IR is only beginning to creep into the department's agenda, their strength is largely in the comparative politics field, but both IR courses are very interesting. You should probably know that in college (certainly in Trinity at least), IR is very much theory-driven, and the courses all devote large sections to the major IR theories, like realism, institutionalism, liberalism etc.

In terms of postgrad they've just this year introduced an MSc in International Politics. I suppose we'll have to wait & see when it's up and running next year how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Should also have said, you can do Politics through BESS, then in dual combinations with one of Philosophy, History, Geography and Law. All the degrees share the same politics courses obviously :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

gutenberg wrote: »
    Hi Dante10, I do Politics in TCD. There's a second year,year-long course devoted to International Relations, which acts as a kind of introductory course covering the basic aspects of IR. Then in fourth year there's a 'Contemporary International Relations' course, which looks at institutions like the UN and EU.

IR is only beginning to creep into the department's agenda, their strength is largely in the comparative politics field, but both IR courses are very interesting. You should probably know that in college (certainly in Trinity at least), IR is very much theory-driven, and the courses all devote large sections to the major IR theories, like realism, institutionalism, liberalism etc.

In terms of postgrad they've just this year introduced an MSc in International Politics. I suppose we'll have to wait & see when it's up and running next year how that works out.

I'm doing said 2nd year IR module now, and it's brilliant. Really really interesting, nicely structured, mixes together theory and practical stuff real well. If other IR modules are anywhere near as good I'd recommend them a lot. Obviously, that's just me. A lot of people would have a different opinion, especially given their tendency to mark essays quite harshly, and the fact that in the second year course you're discouraged from (and penalised for) bringing in any unassigned material.

Advertisement