Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 19-03-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

So at end of February I get a phone call from my credit card company saying that some suspicious transactions have been taking place on my card and wanted to verify if it was me. Nearly €1k of transaction have been made on the card which were not made by me. Card is now cancelled and all relevant docs were to be sent to me, etc.

Received the docs a week later, this time saying that nearly €3k of transactions were made on the card!!! :eek: Again none of these are mine. Signed them all as fraud and had the doc declared before Gardai (as requested by CC company) and sent everything back.

I rang CC Company today to get an update. Spoke to a really nice guy, who tells me that everything has been sorted. Great me thinks! I ask him was my balance is, knowing its in or around the €350 mark, (this particular company are packing up and CC needs to be paid off) and he tells me its €900 odd!

So long story sort, after I sign a declaration saying that the €3k fraud is in fact fraud, this Company decided that some of it is not fraud!!

I’m at a loss here, I’ve never been in a situation like this ever.
    Anyone any experiences with CC fraud???

Part of me is thinking that the company is trying their luck but with it being such a serious issue its not something I’m taking lightly.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

They should be able to tell you exactly what payments they have refunded you for. By knowing this, you will be able to tell which payments they have said are not fraudulent.

Usually when this happens, the transactions in question have been verifiried by chip and pin and as such are not the result of stolen details. If this is the case, and you maintain they are not your transactions, you will most likely have to go back to the guards and a full investigation using CCTV and the like will have to be conducted.

Find out the transactions they have not refunded, and make sure they are fraudulent. I don't mean to second guess you, but I've seen numerous cases where the customer has been a little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

They should be able to tell you exactly what payments they have refunded you for. By knowing this, you will be able to tell which payments they have said are not fraudulent.

Usually when this happens, the transactions in question have been verifiried by chip and pin and as such are not the result of stolen details. If this is the case, and you maintain they are not your transactions, you will most likely have to go back to the guards and a full investigation using CCTV and the like will have to be conducted.

Find out the transactions they have not refunded, and make sure they are fraudulent. I don't mean to second guess you, but I've seen numerous cases where the customer has been a little confused.

Thanks for the reply. I'm expecting a call on Monday so hopefully that will clear matters up. My card wasnt stolen, still have it in my purse!, my details, I'm guessing, were stolen through an internet website so the chip and pin shouldnt be an issue. All the transactions are internet purchases.

There are a few days between my last statement and when the fraud was detected where I could have used the card and dont recall, which obviously I have no problem paying, but the tranactions they have listed are definitely not mine!!

Its just so frustrating :o Hopefully it is just an error and thats the end of that. Last time I get a credit card though!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

JD24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm expecting a call on Monday so hopefully that will clear matters up. My card wasnt stolen, still have it in my purse!, my details, I'm guessing, were stolen through an internet website so the chip and pin shouldnt be an issue. All the transactions are internet purchases.

There are a few days between my last statement and when the fraud was detected where I could have used the card and dont recall, which obviously I have no problem paying, but the tranactions they have listed are definitely not mine!!

Its just so frustrating :o Hopefully it is just an error and thats the end of that. Last time I get a credit card though!!! :rolleyes:

Hope it gets cleared up :)

Advertisement