Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphone Amp?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I bought the Pioneer HDJ-2000. They're great headphones and a hell of a lot more comfortable than my Skullcandy Skullcrushers so I want to use them with my iPod, but the bass is a bit lacking compared to when I used them on a Pioneer DJM-400, so now I'm looking for a headphone amp.

I have no idea where to look as I've never bought one before, all I know is that I'm gonna want one relatively small in size. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The cheapest option available is the FiiO E5. It has a bass boost also but it's not a massive boost, I imagine the extra power delivered would make the greater difference.

Why did you choose the Pioneers, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Baza210 wrote: »
    The cheapest option available is the FiiO E5. It has a bass boost also but it's not a massive boost, I imagine the extra power delivered would make the greater difference.

Why did you choose the Pioneers, may I ask?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up.

I chose the Pioneers for DJing, I just tried them out on my iPod to see what they were like and they're better than the Skullcandy ones i was using but they didn't sound as good as on a DJM-400. On the DJM-400 they had such a strong kick. I bought the Skullcandy ones because they're subwoofer headphones but the bass is just vibrations and it's not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I got a Fiio E5 from hifiheadphones.co.uk but they do have other types in stock which might suit you. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fiio-man-44.html?osCsid=cdopj5ngle9e5fu4r71vilob21

The E5 is very small and can clip onto clothes fairly easily and comes with a long and short jack cable so it can be used as an extension or beside your mp3 player. I used it to boost some crappy portable speakers at a festival and had no complaints. Don't expect any miracles from it but it does make things louder but necessarily clearer, it does come with a bass boost button.

I looked up info on the E3 whilst I was deciding over it or the E5 but I choose the E5 over it but I can't remember the differences between them now.

The E1 is newer and is designed for ipods as it goes into the LOD of the ipod and sounds better than from the plug jack. Check out head-fi.org's portable headphone amps for reviews/comparisons of the them all, like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/klipsch-s4-e1-e3-e5-467733/

Also skullcandy are rubbish; I've had 6 or 7 (on my 4th GI replacement) pairs of them and would advise anyone to steer well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

yimrsg wrote: »
    I got a Fiio E5 from hifiheadphones.co.uk but they do have other types in stock which might suit you. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fiio-man-44.html?osCsid=cdopj5ngle9e5fu4r71vilob21

The E5 is very small and can clip onto clothes fairly easily and comes with a long and short jack cable so it can be used as an extension or beside your mp3 player. I used it to boost some crappy portable speakers at a festival and had no complaints. Don't expect any miracles from it but it does make things louder but necessarily clearer, it does come with a bass boost button.

I looked up info on the E3 whilst I was deciding over it or the E5 but I choose the E5 over it but I can't remember the differences between them now.

The E1 is newer and is designed for ipods as it goes into the LOD of the ipod and sounds better than from the plug jack. Check out head-fi.org's portable headphone amps for reviews/comparisons of the them all, like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/klipsch-s4-e1-e3-e5-467733/

Also skullcandy are rubbish; I've had 6 or 7 (on my 4th GI replacement) pairs of them and would advise anyone to steer well clear.

I'm leaning towards the E1, €26 isn't bad shipped. I'm gonna take a guess that there isn't a place in Dublin I can buy one from? Buying online is a pain with my Payzone Mastercard :(

There is a place in Dublin, but it's online sales only... http://www.lambayrules.ie/viewitem.php?groupid=0&productid=19
    You could ask him if you could drop by his house or something...

Gotta say though, I had an E1 and it was bloody frustrating. The buttons are far too sensitive meaning it's basically impossible to clip it onto something without changing the track accidentally... the cable is also about a metre long which is completely unnecessary. I would prefer a FiiO L1 (line-out) + E5, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I have an E5 also, but find it lacks a lot to be honest. I would recommend the next step up so to speak as being a CMOY amplifier.
    Something along these lines : Here on eBay
    This is the one I'm currently using,find it quite good but Battery life is a bit short :
    Audiotrak Imamp
    Link here

An E5 is a good bit smaller than a CMoy though... closest thing in size would probably be an iBasso T4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I've heard iBasso are pretty much the best in terms of quality/price

Advertisement