Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Iphone App

Options
  • 19-03-2010 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone know if there is one of out there, and if there isnt one yet what ya say the odds of one being brought out??????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What would such an app do that logging on to boards in safari could not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Provide update to date information and extended statistics on "Thanks"
    • who the latest thanks came from
    • exactly what post got the latest thanks
    • Up to date thanks to posts ratio
    • thanks per minute

The thanks whores would certainly pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Saruman wrote: »
    What would such an app do that logging on to boards in safari could not?

quite a lot.

it could list all the different forums offline so it's quicker to get to the one you want. Navigating the main site on an iphone is horrible. Th iPad should be better though. m.boards.ie isn't great, lacks a fair few features and not the nicest site either.

It wouldn't need to be complicated, something simple that just allowed you to view the posts in a forum in a list view that is a standard size for the iphone, ie no zooming necessary/available. I'd do it only I'm pretty hopeless at coding, so while I could probably put the app together in terms of GUI, actually getting it to work could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Seriously how hard is it to bookmark m.boards.ie and save it as an icon which can launch safari and load the page instantly? So far the only thing that's been mentioned missing is the thanks features and tbh it's hardly a great loss. As for m.boards not the best looking site, it's lightweight to load pages faster and if you need to zoom in double tap the screen, job done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How the hell do you refresh safari??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

How the hell do you refresh safari??

With the refresh button :pac:.... Top right.

iPhone_safari.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jesus I apologise for my stupidity.. and lack of working eyes...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Guys,
    I would be willing to implement such an App. I am currently learning Objective C/IPhone Dev and might implement a Boards.ie App as a first experiment. It would probably be very basic (at least initially) but if anyone has any ideas I will see if I have time to include some of them.

My plan initially would be as follows:
    Pre-requisites => permission from boards.ie to continue with the development
    App would "scrap" the content/categories from the m.boards.ie and the RSS feeds available (so doesn't need any mods on the website).

Features:
    Home page of app would so your subscribed forums (set within the preferences page), clicking each forum would bring the user into a nice view of that forum, shown with some user set preferences (again via preference set in the preferences page), e.g. show sub-categories, show "stickies" etc.

At the bottom of this page would be links to "Categories", "Search" and "Preferences".

Categories page would just allow the user to browse through the categories into the various forums

Search would be very basic search.

Forum view would allow a particular forum to be marked as subscription (to be placed on the homepage), create a new thread and obviously view a thread.

Thread view would show the thread (sorted either ascending or descending) and the ability to post a reply and "quote" a particular entry.

Preferences would allow the users credentials to be stored, and set various defaults, re-order favourite etc.

So, what do people think? I know I am just describing the basic boards.ie functionality but it would be a start.

Jerome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

Guess everything you just said there seems pretty sweet, your best to just keep it simple then maybe develop further later on... throw the shout up in this topic if you do create it, id gladly be first customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This has come up a few times before on the Site Development forum. According to Connor, VB is a pig to scrape and there isn't anything like a working API that would be able to get most of the information needed to do so without scraping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

any chance of
    it? i would get it straight away.

Advertisement