Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java - WIFI connection settings

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have an app and I would like the user to be able to connect to a wireless network from it. It needs to be as simple as possible (i.e. display a list of available wireless networks, click one to connect to and enter the password - very like Windows "Wireless Network Connection" dialog).
    • Anybody know if there is a Java library/API related to WIFI?
    • Alternatively, I could use a command-line app with a few simple commands to achieve the above (call it from Java and parse the results - I know how to do this already).
    • Another option is to just open the Windows "Wireless Network Connection" dialog from my app but I can't even find a way to do that! Is there a command-line command or executable that can be called to open that dialog?
    I am using an ordinary PC and Windows XP. I have googled ways of doing all of the above but I'm stumped!

Cheers,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

There are no libraries I know of to do it as the establishing of a network connection is OS specific. I guess you could either use the command line route or alternatively write a dll to establish the connection etc and use JNI to build an API on top if it. I've done it before for launching RAS connections using those mobile dongles so I guess it should be possible for controlling the wireless connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks lynchie,

I had a feeling it would be possible using dll's and JNI but that is kind of beyond the scope of what I wanted to do. Connecting to WIFI is not really a main function of the project, just a small feature of it and I didn't intend on using different languages and making a big, complicated (to me anyway!) facility for it. The command-line route would be fine but as yet I haven't found anything suitable.

Advertisement