Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Levy on credit cards

Options
  • 19-03-2010 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

this is currently €40 per year. When i rang up my credit card provider today to cancel my credit card (balance being 0) they said i owe the €40 governement levy on credit cards. I said to her sorry but thats effective from April 1st, and she said no, when you pay on April 1st, thats for the previous year you have used the card, so you still owe €40. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, i just want to be doubley sure before I transfer the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

this is currently €40 per year. When i rang up my credit card provider today to cancel my credit card (balance being 0) they said i owe the €40 governement levy on credit cards. I said to her sorry but thats effective from April 1st, and she said no, when you pay on April 1st, thats for the previous year you have used the card, so you still owe €40. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, i just want to be doubley sure before I transfer the money.

This is correct, if you take out another credit card though you will not be charged the €40 on that - make sure you get a letter confirming that you have paid the €40 from existing CC company to present to new company.

It is all these hoops that have stopped me from transferring to a new company, just too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I thought it went down to €30 per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

It did.

Gov levy queries should be stickied on this forum as there seems to be some every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

yes i know it is 30 euro with tsb. i paid the charge in the bank when clearing mine but when i got home i transferred the amount back from my account into my paddy power acc and tore up the card. i know its not the right thing to do but i have been screwed do many times of late with this bloody government

Advertisement