Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting pet shops, any suggestions?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I won't say what shop but saw a sick rabbit in a pet shop (badly infected eyes, alot of pus, in a small cage with two or three other rabbits, so obviously passing on the infection).

Is there anyone I can report this to? The ISPCA? Is there any point reporting them? I would buy the poor rabbit if I had the money (I know that wouldn't stop them getting in more, but the poor thing looked so sick).

I know they could have been treating it, but it looked like it was for sale, and was in with other rabbits. I didn't talk to them about it, because they obviously can see it's sick and I didn't want to cause a scene . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a quick apology for having to wait a while for thread approval - I was afk.

Well some people will say that you should have just gone up to the owners and been brass and said it to their face. But some people may not have the courage to do so, which is fair enough, each situation is different.
    You could ask in a roundabout way going 'hey I was just looking at this rabbit - it seems really ill - should it be like that?' and see if there's any reaction.

See you could probably report it (no harm in doing that anyway) but without evidence there's not a whole lot that can be done afaik. So then you delve into law (which I'm not certain of) regarding getting evidence via photo or something - I'm not saying do this because I don't know the law on it, but just that evidence might be needed before an SPCA or someone might be able to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

it does not hurt to report anything as if the owner is getting treatment the he has nothing to worry about , i would say it to the owner if it's a decent petshop they will get treatment , saying that what has to be on the persons mind is a vet's bill will wipe out all the profit and then some :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I kindof doubt they were treating it because it wasn't even seperated from the other rabbits . . . and that pet shop has a bad reputation. The staff seem kinda rough so I didn't even complain to them.

I guess I have no evidence but I'll see what I can do. The rabbit might be better or sold by now, but I'll see.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Raychill

I hate seeing things like that in pet shops. I was in one in cork and they had around 10 degus who had all lost their tails ): They were also feeding them basic rodent mix ): When I complained they just kept saying they were fine and they liked rabbit food. I was discusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

morganafay, if you want to rescue the rabbit, try haggling.

Say something like "That grey rabbit in the big pen, he has badly weeping eyes and I think he has conjunctivitis, and it's really contagious. He'll need vet care and an antibiotic to clear up what's wrong. He's going to give it to the other rabbits if you leave him in there. They'll all end up in a state and you'll either have to pay a fortune to the vet to cure them, or get rid of them because nobody will buy them."

See if they offer a solution or say they'll get them seen to.

If not, try the next tactic, "I'll take him off your hands now if you give him to me for free, or I'll give you a couple of quid, but I won't pay your asking price" and see what they say.

If they look confused or unhappy about it, suggest they talk to the store manager - "well you have a chat to your manager about it and I'll come back tomorrow" - then get out of there and leave them to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

What about a sort of name and shame by writing to the local newspaper with your concerns? Letters to the editor often cover a variety of issues and most local people will read that section. Maybe that would increase awareness of the problem and thereby force the place in question to change their ways.
    I wish pet shop staff were better informed about looking after these critters if they're going to sell them. They often give bad information about diet, etc, to new owners then too. I personally would rather they didn't sell them at all, but if they're going to sell they should have more knowledge.

morganafay, if you want to rescue the rabbit, try haggling.

Say something like "That grey rabbit in the big pen, he has badly weeping eyes and I think he has conjunctivitis, and it's really contagious. He'll need vet care and an antibiotic to clear up what's wrong. He's going to give it to the other rabbits if you leave him in there. They'll all end up in a state and you'll either have to pay a fortune to the vet to cure them, or get rid of them because nobody will buy them."

See if they offer a solution or say they'll get them seen to.

If not, try the next tactic, "I'll take him off your hands now if you give him to me for free, or I'll give you a couple of quid, but I won't pay your asking price" and see what they say.

If they look confused or unhappy about it, suggest they talk to the store manager - "well you have a chat to your manager about it and I'll come back tomorrow" - then get out of there and leave them to think about it.

Well this was a few months ago, but if it happens again, then I'll definitely try this, thanks

Wisco wrote: »
    What about a sort of name and shame by writing to the local newspaper with your concerns? Letters to the editor often cover a variety of issues and most local people will read that section. Maybe that would increase awareness of the problem and thereby force the place in question to change their ways.
    I wish pet shop staff were better informed about looking after these critters if they're going to sell them. They often give bad information about diet, etc, to new owners then too. I personally would rather they didn't sell them at all, but if they're going to sell they should have more knowledge.

I know, they know so little about them. I'd love to work in a pet shop just to look after the animals and tell people how to look after them properly. I've gone into a few pet shops and just asked which guinea pigs are male/female, and they have no idea. Even though with guinea pigs, it's really easy to tell.

Advertisement