Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

still some good guys out there

Options
  • 19-03-2010 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi had a plumber out today to replace a motorized vaulve and service the gas boiler. never dealt with this guy before but he was so professional.
    he was here for 2 1/2 hours.....1 1/2 of which was spent on the boiler service alone...charged 160.00 incl. the price for the vaulve. i thought this was very resonable....plumbers and the like are all too often tarred with the one brush but there are still some nice decent guys in the trade. i will deffo be calling this guy back:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭james finn

valve costs 35 euro, he made over 100 euro, ad the hours up over a day and then a week its about 1500 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Considering most plumbers use to charge 150-250 call out I agree relative to that time you got value for your money.

As for the motorised valve it would all depend on the model. Also most times all that needs replacing is the head. However as he prob did not come out before he did not know what head you had there for prob replaced the whole valve.

Well done. I agree it was a good price considering a lot of lads will not do a service for less than 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

(he made over 100 euro, ad the hours up over a day and then a week its about 1500 a week.)

and thats why he trained for 4 years instead of just walking in to an unskilled workset
    what he make a week is based on his expertise and is not really relavent to what the op is saying they are saying it was reasonable which it was for 2 and half hours plumbing work

sorry for ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

hohojojo wrote: »
    (he made over 100 euro, ad the hours up over a day and then a week its about 1500 a week.)

and thats why he trained for 4 years instead of just walking in to an unskilled workset
    what he make a week is based on his expertise and is not really relavent to what the op is saying they are saying it was reasonable which it was for 2 and half hours plumbing work

sorry for ranting

In fairness I understand this point. Most plumbers had families and there partners did not work. The primary reason for this is the plumbers worked such long hours. I remember a plumber dropping into me one morning for a boiler at 8 and asking me to bring some lagging home so they could finish up the boiler that evening. Granted working these long hours gave them more money and it ment simple jobs cost a lot but it allowed the plumber provide 2 incomes and still have a family.

I now know plumbers and those in the plumbing trade that have there partners out working because they cannot get work. This is not a refelction of there work etic but the fact people are not spending as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

james finn wrote: »
    valve costs 35 euro, he made over 100 euro, ad the hours up over a day and then a week its about 1500 a week.

Yeah because he has no costs and every hour of the day is billable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Maybe that was the only job he had that day!! He wont make 1500 if that's the case. And what about VAT, income tax and PRSI.

Yea, we have a Taoiseach that thinks on the same line as you, it's unfortunate for my bank account that neither of you are right:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

i am only basing this on previous experience...being that in my last house we were charged 120 for boiler service alone.

this guy replaced a hortsmann valve(motor completly burned out) with a myson valve+boiler service for 160.00!!!! and he called a few days before to check that it was the motorised valve that was gone...for which we weren't charged.
    i do think it was good valu and have already recommended him to others....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Them myson valves are about €70.

hohojojo wrote: »

sorry for ranting

em i am a plumber

• Advertisement

em i am a plumber

Good for you, you should know better then as a jobbing plumber, i don't know any decent plumber/engineer who hasn't been effected by the down turn, maybe your experiences are different?

gary71 wrote: »
    Good for you, you should know better then as a jobbing plumber, i don't know any decent plumber/engineer who hasn't been effected by the down turn, maybe your experiences are different?

i work in the private side not big sites cause i knew this day would come.

i built up my company and its still going strong and im sorry i dont feel sorry for the site plumbers far to cheeky in the good times and didnt want to work in private but now they do.

i built up my company and its still going strong and im sorry i dont feel sorry for the site plumbers far to cheeky in the good times and didnt want to work in private but now they do.

You don't seem to have a grasp on how professional people have to charge for work and how much goods actually cost.
    The plumber would have to drain down ,to change from a horstmann to a myson actuator. He was best to take out the horstmann altogether ,they are useless valves.

I've always worked in domestic and always pay my taxes.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    You don't seem to have a grasp on how professional people have to charge for work and how much goods actually cost.
    The plumber would have to drain down ,to change from a horstmann to a myson actuator.

I've always worked in domestic and always pay my taxes.

plumber on-site did not have to buy anything grasp that, i do

your talking to someone who knows.

plumber on-site did not have to buy anything grasp that, i do

your talking to someone who knows.

Ok ,that sense makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I had a plumber replace a non return valve and bleed the full system last week, he was there for over an hour. I bought the parts, he charged me €30 for labor. Its the first time I ever gave up on a job and called a plumber, but at those prices I will be getting him again.

macnab wrote: »
    I had a plumber replace a non return valve and bleed the full system last week, he was there for over an hour. I bought the parts, he charged me €30 for labor. Its the first time I ever gave up on a job and called a plumber, but at those prices I will be getting him again.

now thats a good price

Ok ,that sense makes.

it wouldnt make sense to someone who dosnt know anything about plumbing

No offence ,james finn ,but it's like i'm in that film deliverance and I'm talking to one of the locals.

No offence ,james finn ,but it's like i'm in that film deliverance and I'm talking to one of the locals.

you should stick to films then and stop talking about things you dont understand and never will unless you take up plumbing

• Advertisement

you should stick to films then and stop talking about things you dont understand and never will unless you take up plumbing

Yes sir! ,right away sir!

ashblag wrote: »
    i am only basing this on previous experience...being that in my last house we were charged 120 for boiler service alone.

this guy replaced a hortsmann valve(motor completly burned out) with a myson valve+boiler service for 160.00!!!! and he called a few days before to check that it was the motorised valve that was gone...for which we weren't charged.
    i do think it was good valu and have already recommended him to others....

You should hold on to this lad ashblag. He will be worth his weight in gold to you.
    I took the plunge myself at the start of January, Got let go in October and with a wife not working and two babies and a mortgage I had to do something. I've already got a good bit of word of mouth work and the list is growing so fingers crossed.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    You should hold on to this lad ashblag. He will be worth his weight in gold to you.
    +1

I think so aswell ,

If the guy changed the valve from a horstmann to a myson ,he would have had to drain down to do it.
    Horstmann valves are the cheapest ones on the market and myson are one of the more expensive ones.

The only motorised valve I've had to change ,in the last two years ,was a horstmann.

You sound very angry James.
    You seem to be tarnishing every other plumber with the same brush.

Am I one of those plumbers you dont feel sorry for? I worked for a company for years that worked right across the board. Domestic, Commercial and industrial. I was let go in October and in January I set up my own company due to necessity. I have lost count of the number of houses I have been in since then to correct installation faults (some of these were only 4 years old) and rectifying simple mistakes by other "handyman plumbers". I am going steady at the moment (maybe not as busy as I would like to be) and I hope it continues. From being in these houses and seeing the crap that was installed I now know that I am a good plumber and I hope the customers after I was finished can also see this.

The only motorised valve I've had to change ,in the last two years ,was a horstmann.

I only changed one two weeks ago. They are rubbish. I've only used sunvic or Danfoss over the years and I've had no issues with them.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    You sound very angry James.
    You seem to be tarnishing every other plumber with the same brush.

Am I one of those plumbers you dont feel sorry for? I worked for a company for years that worked right across the board. Domestic, Commercial and industrial. I was let go in October and in January I set up my own company due to necessity. I have lost count of the number of houses I have been in since then to correct installation faults (some of these were only 4 years old) and rectifying simple mistakes by other "handyman plumbers". I am going steady at the moment (maybe not as busy as I would like to be) and I hope it continues. From being in these houses and seeing the crap that was installed I now know that I am a good plumber and I hope the customers after I was finished can also see this.

takes years to get it built up in your own company, i served 6 years and went out on my own at 23 never looked back, in the good times lads were asking for 1000 a week or more and when i got them they wernt worth 200 a week, iv had many lads and no good for the type of work i do, just like having kids on the job. just jokers no cop

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Lads this makes me laugh.

GopErthike wrote: »
    Lads this makes me laugh.

what does?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OK Reel it in lads.

James Finn, if you want to contribute to this forum please change your tone.

Same applies to yoshytoshy.

This forum is about professionals and skilled DIY'ers giving advice and helping. This is not a place for having a go at each other.

No more bitchiness.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement