Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Credo of the People of God ~ Paul VI

Options
  • 19-03-2010 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

This Creed was proclaimed by Pope Paul VI because "the disquiet which agitates certain modern quarters with regard to the faith. They do not escape the influence of a world being profoundly changed, in which so many certainties are being disputed or discussed. We see even Catholics allowing themselves to be seized by a kind of passion for change and novelty. The Church, most assuredly, has always the duty to carry on the effort to study more deeply and to present, in a manner ever better adapted to successive generations, the unfathomable mysteries of God, rich for all in fruits of salvation. But at the same time the greatest care must be taken, while fulfilling the indispensable duty of research, to do no injury to the teachings of Christian doctrine. For that would be to give rise, as is unfortunately seen in these days, to disturbance and perplexity in many faithful souls."
    Pope Paul VI wrote the Creed of the People of God in 1968 in order to proclaim the basic and essential beliefs of the Catholic faith as received from Christ.

This Creed is an outstanding summary of the Catholic faith.

- It is brief.
    - It covers the absolute essentials.
    - Pope Paul VI was careful to include certain elements of the faith that were being challenged in the modern world—it speaks particularly well to "the spiritual condition of our time".

This is a real treasure. An old friend drew my attention to it a few days ago. I'd never heard of it before.

*You can read the text here, and also listen or download an MP3 version:
    http://www.beginningcatholic.com/creed-of-the-people-of-god.html

Or plain text version here: http://tiny.cc/3MgSw

Can you imagine if all Catholics were presented with sound catechesis, for example, utilising this creed, what the effect would be on our Church? I believe that among the issues to be addressed by the Church is the woeful knowledge of the faith among Catholics, both lay, and indeed clergy. The renewal of the Church will come about when people are on fire with the love of God.

"I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!
    Gospel of St. Luke, chapter 12.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I remember reading up on this and the events surrounding it, making it necessary to clarify and reiterate a position...

I agree, it was an excellent response - and will stand the test of time, because it's so very true...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Ultravid wrote: »
    This Creed was proclaimed by Pope Paul VI ago. I'd never heard of it before.

*You can read the text here, and also listen or download an MP3 version:
    http://www.beginningcatholic.com/creed-of-the-people-of-god.html

Or plain text version here: http://tiny.cc/3MgSw

this is odd. the reference yu giove refers to a date of this apostolic letter

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/motu_proprio/documents/hf_p-vi_motu-proprio_19680630_romanae-dioecesis_lt.html

But the above letter had NOTHING to do with creeds

Could you refer to an original vatican source doccument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I certainly admit that my knowledge of the faith is poor indeed, and every day is a process of learning for me. I feel that us Catholics need to be hungry for the faith and it must be given to us at a young age too, the family home is the mini Church and it needs watering every now and again.

The Church should create youth nights with Catholic board games and stuff, to make it more fun about learning the faith.

Boardgames such as
    www.vaticanboardgame.com
    this board game would give kids the knowledge of what Cardinals do and how they be elected Pope.

http://www.amazon.com/Catechism-Catholic-Church-Board-Game/dp/B000EARXOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1269031204&sr=1-1

the divinity board game above would make learning the Cathechism a lot more fun too. Good reviews for both games. they all seem to be in america though, which is sad to say the least, I wish veritas made available these boardgames.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

pmsl...I love the board game idea..!

Actually, Stephenlig I frequent an American Website and some of them are a bit like myself....just learning....and some of them would blow your mind with just how much they know - very extreme cases!!

ISAW, I think we got the general gist of what the op meant...it's ok!

lmaopml wrote: »
    pmsl...I love the board game idea..!

Actually, Stephenlig I frequent an American Website and some of them are a bit like myself....just learning....and some of them would blow your mind with just how much they know - very extreme cases!!

ISAW, I think we got the general gist of what the op meant...it's ok!

Hi, yeah I think it would be fun as there are tons of boardgames to have a crack at.

Americans have a good education system, and a lot of American Catholics I met have a good knowledge of the Church I must hand it to them.

I applied for the Maryvale institute of theology last year for my B.A in Divinity and I got accepted, yet sadly I couldnt cough up the tuition fees. I had the government grant thing going, but someone said they'd give me the tuition fees so I dropped the government grant in trust of that but sadly they ended up saying they'd only pay half of it, which meant I couldnt go. I appealed to the local Cardinal, but got a letter from the secretary informing me that they sadly could not fund me.

I always leave it to providence, if it isnt in Gods will then it isnt in Gods will...I can always try again at a later stage.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement

LOL, Stephenlig I wish you the very best of luck. My sis is just finished a degree by distance learning at the moment, and it certainly wasn't easy...! She was the one who gave me a nudge..lol...It's in theology too.....but it's based in Ireland...maybe have a look at it??? It's with the Priory Institute...

I'm finishing something else at the moment..

Actually, it's a pity there is no sponsorship!! You've just given me an idea!!

Best of luck.....

...I dunno about the board games, but I'm quite sure your heart is in the right place :)

LOL, Stephenlig I wish you the very best of luck. My sis is just finished a degree by distance learning at the moment, and it certainly wasn't easy...! She was the one who gave me a nudge..lol...It's in theology too.....but it's based in Ireland...maybe have a look at it??? It's with the Priory Institute...

I'm finishing something else at the moment..

Actually, it's a pity there is no sponsorship!! You've just given me an idea!!

Best of luck.....

...I dunno about the board games, but I'm quite sure your heart is in the right place :)

Ha ha I feel this is the Holy Spirit speaking to me now, the priory institute? I was looking at it and considering it not so long ago, perhaps I should get myself in gear and consider it. I'm currently in the procedure of opening up my own business online and I'm hoping it wouldnt drain me of the money I'd need for the priory, however I'm sure I can just apply for the grant this time and fly through it.

did she have to write any essays to get in? I had to for the Maryvale.

I love the boardgame idea, anything that brings us and the kids closer to God, another good idea would be at Halloween, instead of dressing up as fundamentalists we could get something together for them down the local parish hall, and everyone could dress up as their favourite saint or angel, it'd be cool.

Go ahead and call me an oddball, I'm gettin quite used to that title these days :pac:LOL:D

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Hi Stephinlig,

Well you should look into it anyway...afaik my sis didn't have to do an exam..I think when it's 'distance learning' it's open to anybody who has the interest and the disciplin to do it....the age range is vast...young and old, but it's tough....

pmsl again at the Halloween costumes...

How do you dress up as a fundamentalist anyways????
    I remember dressing up as a skeleton once but defo not a fundamentalist skeleton lol..Sure kids are kids they don't argue over things as much as us adults tend to, they're far wiser...

I wish you the best Stephenlig, I hope everything goes well for you..

Hi Stephinlig,

Well you should look into it anyway...afaik my sis didn't have to do an exam..I think when it's 'distance learning' it's open to anybody who has the interest and the disciplin to do it....the age range is vast...young and old, but it's tough....

pmsl again at the Halloween costumes...

How do you dress up as a fundamentalist anyways????
    I remember dressing up as a skeleton once but defo not a fundamentalist skeleton lol..Sure kids are kids they don't argue over things as much as us adults tend to, they're far wiser...

I wish you the best Stephenlig, I hope everything goes well for you..

thanks for the info, my joke was against the secular costumes that I feel ( speaking from experience as doing it as a child ) speak to us about and glorify evil more than anything else ( depending on the costume ).
    :pac:

but yup kids certainly can teach us a thing or two about how argumentative and boring us adults can be. lol

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Advertisement