Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant on rent allowance

Options
  • 19-03-2010 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I have a house rented out to a woman and her child for the past 2 years. she is on rent allowance. Brilliant tenant and she is a really nice person. She told me that the social welfare have contacted her and asked her to move to a local council estate. She must give them an answer in the next two weeks. She has asked to see the house but they say they can't show her until she is moving in. Her son does not want to move. He is young and said that is the place were the bullies live. When the council owns these houses it is alot cheaper for them to get people living in them rather than paying me rent every month. I don't mind dropping the rent. Anyone know what approach should be taken ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

She is allowed to refuse council housing - but if she does so twice in a 12 month period she will no longer be eligible for rent supplement.

She could take a gamble that they wouldn't have another house available in 12 months, but if they do she'll pretty much have to move or else lose her rent supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

THE council dont care how much rent she pays ,hse is the 1 paying her rent.tell her contact,threshold or centrecare,she has a right to know exactly where she,s living.
    if she refuses a 2nd time she could end up going to a much worse estate.
    EVERY estate is different, ie theres some where 70percent of the houses are owned by the former tenant and they are ok to live in .IN my experience the more kids over ten years old,young people live there ,the more crime, hassle there is.
    SHE should try to find out who her neighbours are,ie if you have 3,or 4 good neighbours ,it makes a big difference.
    MY friend lived in a large 3bed house on rent allowance 4, 6years , now she lives 2bed apartment in a new block,90percent of the tenants are single mothers.SHES happy there ,theres loadsa kids there ,but theres no1 being bullied.
    GOING TO a new area ,new school can be scary for any child.
    THERES lots of people living in council estates who are very happy to live there,
    ie council estate does not mean bad news,thats like saying any1 who drinks is an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 planning

Could I get set up for the RAS scheme and keep her on as a tenant ? based in Cork.

Advertisement