Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Europe

Options
  • 19-03-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going away to do a masters, just wonder has anyone done this?

Speak French so that is an option, but looking more at Holland/Belgium/maybe even Germany or Scandanavia

Would be in Business / Law area

Anyone have any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The best university im Belgium is the Katholieke Universitieit Leuven. I'm doing masters level modules in law and they're grand. A masters costs 560euros. Loads of LLM programs. All done through English.

Leiden is the best university in the Netherlands. A masters there costs around 1500euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for that, how do you find it over there?|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I'm doing a masters over in Sweden right now and no fees for EU until 2011 I believe. I don't know about a specific university since I'm doing an engineering masters but I've heard some good things about Stockholm U and Lund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mikec123

you should check out the University of Amsterdam. I'm starting a masters degree there in August, in Business Economics (finance track)...it only costs 1640 euro for fees (bargain!) and IS the highest ranked university in the Netherlands (if you believe the ranking system by QS!).... they have plenty of programmes in English (mine is) and it's in Amsterdam...what more could you want!

http://www.english.uva.nl/news/archive.cfm/3410210A-1321-B0BE-68294A6D5E833776
    The University of Amsterdam (UvA), as it has in previous years, ranks as the best University in the Netherlands in the recently published THE QS World University Rankings 2009, the annual survey of the world's best universities.
    The UvA climbed four places and now is ranked 49th. This means the UvA is the only Dutch University in the top 50. The top positions are held by Harvard University, University of Cambridge and Yale University. There are, in total, 11 Dutch universities in the top 200.
    The UvA not only rose in the overall ranking but also improved its position across the board in regard to individual disciplines.
    Arts & Humanities: 31 (2008: 36)
    Social Sciences: 32 (2008: 43)
    Natural Sciences: 85 (2008: 119)
    Life Sciences & Biomedicine: 56 (2008: 80)
    Engineering & IT: 126 -

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

The best university im Belgium is the Katholieke Universitieit Leuven. I'm doing masters level modules in law and they're grand. A masters costs 560euros. Loads of LLM programs. All done through English.

Leiden is the best university in the Netherlands. A masters there costs around 1500euros.
    NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    I'm doing a masters over in Sweden right now and no fees for EU until 2011 I believe. I don't know about a specific university since I'm doing an engineering masters but I've heard some good things about Stockholm U and Lund.
    mikec123 wrote: »
    you should check out the University of Amsterdam. I'm starting a masters degree there in August, in Business Economics (finance track)...it only costs 1640 euro for fees (bargain!) and IS the highest ranked university in the Netherlands (if you believe the ranking system by QS!).... they have plenty of programmes in English (mine is) and it's in Amsterdam...what more could you want!

http://www.english.uva.nl/news/archive.cfm/3410210A-1321-B0BE-68294A6D5E833776
    The University of Amsterdam (UvA), as it has in previous years, ranks as the best University in the Netherlands in the recently published THE QS World University Rankings 2009, the annual survey of the world's best universities.
    The UvA climbed four places and now is ranked 49th. This means the UvA is the only Dutch University in the top 50. The top positions are held by Harvard University, University of Cambridge and Yale University. There are, in total, 11 Dutch universities in the top 200.
    The UvA not only rose in the overall ranking but also improved its position across the board in regard to individual disciplines.
    Arts & Humanities: 31 (2008: 36)
    Social Sciences: 32 (2008: 43)
    Natural Sciences: 85 (2008: 119)
    Life Sciences & Biomedicine: 56 (2008: 80)
    Engineering & IT: 126 -

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old thread. I had a look at these universities. How are they able to charge such low tuition fees? Is that seriously how much it costs and then your accommodation etc. no catches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hsharz

I'm not from the netherlands, however a lot of Eu countries have free fees or low fees at state universities.

e.g. I'm an undergraduate and paying 90€ registration fee- that's all for the year. same for postgraduate at my uni.

so if guess tuition fees are accurate. you might need to take registration fee into consideration and cost for books ,etc.and living expenses of course.

and yes doing your master abroad might be a bargain ;-)
    the point is that the government largely finances everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

They're high tax/high public sector economies.

Leuven has 2 levels of masters; initial masters and advanced masters
    An initial masters in something like European Studies or Law will be €560
    An advanced masters will be €5000 or so but the countries are cheaper to live in than Ireland.

It's very common to do a masters (especially in law) in the Netherlands. A masters there costs €1600.

However, you need to pay for your own accomodation and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FreeEducation

I am considering doing a master in Germany, but chances are you'll need to a language test to test your german proficiency (DSH or TestDAF). That's unless your course is universally accredited which means you can study it in english. Law/Business will probably be taught in english. Humboldt uni in Berlin is one of the best, as is Heidelberg uni...but there are many other good unis in Germany, and after America, Germany's standard of higher education is the highest. And it's cheaper to study here if you're european.

Advertisement