Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

railway sleepers

Options
  • 18-03-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend somewhere where i could get railway sleepers at good prices...lookin at maybe anywhere from 40 to 100 sleepers..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well if you hang around between Wexford and Waterford there will be plenty :D

However they are much in demand so they may be hard enough to find. You could try an architectural salvage yard. They used to be treated with tar and creosote and there is some doubt about the safety of them, it depends what you want them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

im lookin to put then around the house and maybe line the 2 driveways with them...ive seen some on the net best kinda deal so far is 5 for 100 euro 2.4 mtr long...they are the new and not reclaimed which doesnt bother me...cresote is banned now anyway isnt it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

im lookin to put then around the house and maybe line the 2 driveways with them...ive seen some on the net best kinda deal so far is 5 for 100 euro 2.4 mtr long...they are the new and not reclaimed which doesnt bother me...cresote is banned now anyway isnt it?

the new ones are great,but you just cant beat the old and weathered look or a propper/real railway sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yeah i know what you mean but i live in wicklow and im sure the "new" ones will be old and weathered in no time lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

the old ones are not pressure treated and will rot quickly which is important if your putting the in a drive way, google a company called PDM the do the new types treated, we use them, easier to use too

• Advertisement

Lasereye wrote: »
    the old ones are not pressure treated and will rot quickly which is important if your putting the in a drive way, google a company called PDM the do the new types treated, we use them, easier to use too

So if they rot quickly then why did IE and British Rail use them for most of last centuary for the railways then??

The old creasote/propper sleepers will last a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

i agree, but CIE change to concrete because they were rotting,

i buy the old regularly too but unfortunitly i only buy foriegn, usually polish ones because they are about 2inches thicker and better quality than cie

the old are lovely for flower beds but for driveway, the new ones are better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Tully's nurseries in Blakes Cross Co.Dublin have a decent selection.
    You'd be looking at a drive up the M50 and onto the M1 from Wicklow, coming off for Donabate. With you requiring 40 - 100 sleepers I'm sure they'd be glad to see you.

Lasereye wrote: »
    i agree, but CIE change to concrete because they were rotting,

i buy the old regularly too but unfortunitly i only buy foriegn, usually polish ones because they are about 2inches thicker and better quality than cie

the old are lovely for flower beds but for driveway, the new ones are better

CIE would replace them,cause after around 20 years or so and several hundread tons of machine passing over them in 1 go (several times a day,day in day out),they do tend to suffer a bit after years of that sort of abuse.Its not a rotting issue,its a structural,load bearing issue more so.Its also to do with modern EU safety rules and regs that they were replaced with high strength rebarred,impact resistant concrete sleepers.

How do I know?Ive done work for CIE in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Donnchadh

Does anyone know the cheapest place around Dublin to buy the new type railway sleepers? Preferably a place that delivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Donnchadh wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cheapest place around Dublin to buy the new type railway sleepers? Preferably a place that delivers?

http://cloneesawmills.ie/edgingsleepers.html
    They deliver, think the sleepers are about 30 euro

Advertisement