Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Beginner

Options
  • 18-03-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a place to get riding lessons for a complete beginner in horse riding.
    It for myself and my girlfriend, we live in Sallins so anywhere in Kildare and South Dublin would be the best.

Would prefer private lessons at first, as i would prefer not to look like a tube.

Any suggestions from people who have got lessons recently and found the yard to be good and helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

I would recommend Kill Internation or Coolmine Equestrian Centres. Both have indoor arenas. Google both for contact details, Coolmine is close to Saggart. Abbeyfields in Clane and Little Oak in Prosperous are also good. Abbeyfields might bring you out for a walk around their fields which is a good way to start.

Saturdays are usually busiest so maybe drop in and get a feel but dont be put off by the kids and teenagers - adult lessons tend to be weeknights.

I started as an adult too, you will be sore, you will feel as if you are being bounced around, but after the first few lessons you'll feel more comfortable.

Forget about feeling like a plonker, just wait til you put on breeches or jodphurs for the first time. Enjoy it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

On personal experience i couldn't recommend Kill.

I go to clonfert just outside maynooth, love it. There's another thread with all equine centres named have a look in there...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Abbeyfields in Clane

Is it Abbeyfields or Abbeylands?

convert wrote: »

I had to google that just now, to check

http://abbeyfieldfarm.com/horse-riding-page.html

Also listed in the hunter trials sticky for Good Friday as Abbeyfield Farm. (posted by?)

Just did a bit of research on this and it seems to be Abbeyfield Farm Country Pursuits. I'm pretty sure it's the same people who used to own/run Abbeylands, so I'm not sure if they moved premises or just renamed the area, but either way, it's the place/people I had in mind.

• Advertisement

Also listed in the hunter trials sticky for Good Friday as Abbeyfield Farm. (posted by?)

I am assuming that's said tongue-in-cheek? :pac:

whycliff wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a place to get riding lessons for a complete beginner in horse riding.
    It for myself and my girlfriend, we live in Sallins so anywhere in Kildare and South Dublin would be the best.

Would prefer private lessons at first, as i would prefer not to look like a tube.

Any suggestions from people who have got lessons recently and found the yard to be good and helpful.

If you are looking for a yard to ride in, it might be an idea to call in 'on-speck' so-to-speak, and get a feel for the yard and see how they teach, etc. If you're happy with it, then you could make an appointment in person rather than just turning up blind.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Equestrian Centres from a lessons point of view, so can't really give an opinion, but perhaps you could try some of the smaller establishments or those who don't run competitions bi-weekly (or even more frequently), that way you may receive more attention and won't be as restricted in the times and areas that you ride (i.e. that some of the arenas won't be in use for competitions). That said, you are based in a county that has a great reputation for horses, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem in finding somewhere to suit your needs. Best of luck!

I am assuming that's said tongue-in-cheek? :pac:

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Freckles93

haha Killegar I love it! That's where I learned for years! Well I went to the Paddocks riding centre and kellystown but they wern't for me PM for details haha So try KILLEGAR it's deadly haha xx

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

anywhere anyone would recommend in dublin for patience and value and maybe quiet horses? girlfriend looking to learn to ride fairly quickly as a complete nervous beginner, so she couldn't afford many lessons if it was to expensive. any suggestions are welcome, cheers

• Advertisement

jomc wrote: »
    anywhere anyone would recommend in dublin for patience and value and maybe quiet horses? girlfriend looking to learn to ride fairly quickly as a complete nervous beginner, so she couldn't afford many lessons if it was to expensive. any suggestions are welcome, cheers

Hey I learned to ride in Killegar stables, I know its in enniskerry but its actually very close to dublin. The horses there are really quiet. But I would defo recommend private lessons if she wants to learn fast cause group lessons can be kinda dragged out for example they would be focused on lots of other people(could be 20 people on a lesson) whereas if you get a private lesson it's all focused on you so u can learn faster ;) Brennanstown are good too :) You can PM me for riding schools i wudn't recommend too if ya want! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Freckles93 wrote: »
    Hey I learned to ride in Killegar stables, I know its in enniskerry but its actually very close to dublin. The horses there are really quiet. But I would defo recommend private lessons if she wants to learn fast cause group lessons can be kinda dragged out for example they would be focused on lots of other people(could be 20 people on a lesson) whereas if you get a private lesson it's all focused on you so u can learn faster ;) Brennanstown are good too :) You can PM me for riding schools i wudn't recommend too if ya want! :D

20 people in a lesson. Jaysus!

lordgoat wrote: »

hahaha i'm serious sometimes there can be! private lessons are way better :) xx

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

lordgoat wrote: »

20 to a lesson has only happened once or twice, but there is a max of 10 per lessons now in Killegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

i go for lessons in dunbyrne stud in kilmeague, I love, really nice atmoshpere and nice horses too, plus they keep the lessons to 6 max!

Advertisement