Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!

Options
  • 18-03-2010 3:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think I've got dartitis!

I've gone from a fairly decent player to a steaming pile of poo in the last 3 weeks!! Can't get my game together at all! My throw doesn't feel right, my finishing is all over the place, cover shots atrocious, single numbers are a struggle too and can't get near the bull!!

I used to hit at least one 60 each throw, now I don't even hit one a leg, the amount of 26's 30's etc are shocking!! If I do hit a good dart the next is going nowhere near it!

Can someone give me some tips or what to do in practice to help me? I'm getting whooped everyday now, when I used to be practically unbeatable (work competition)

:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I think I've got dartitis!

I've gone from a fairly decent player to a steaming pile of poo in the last 3 weeks!! Can't get my game together at all! My throw doesn't feel right, my finishing is all over the place, cover shots atrocious, single numbers are a struggle too and can't get near the bull!!

I used to hit at least one 60 each throw, now I don't even hit one a leg, the amount of 26's 30's etc are shocking!! If I do hit a good dart the next is going nowhere near it!

Can someone give me some tips or what to do in practice to help me? I'm getting whooped everyday now, when I used to be practically unbeatable (work competition)

:(:(:(
    Sounds more like a bad patch than Dartitis. If it was dartitis you'd have trouble releasing the darts and maybe the arm freezing a little. You seem a bit stressed and over anxious about it so maybe a week or 2 away from darts altogether might help. Then make one or two little temporary changes to take your mind off the scoring like slow down the throw just a bit and even maybe move 2 or 3 inches to either the right or left on the oche as suitable until getting focus back :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Dartitis is a release problem, with you it just sounds like you are over anxious and putting to much pressure on yourself. I have had dartitis a number of times now, I finally found a method to beat it :), well that works for me. (book on sale in the Summer :) )
    Darts its a confidence game, yours is gone so I would work on building it back up, dont worry every player of every game in the world has bad patches, its how you cope with it that will define your ability as a player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Cheers guys, I'll see how today goes!! If I play bad, I'll be getting new darts at the weekend, as these ones will be broken :D

Another point of note, I used to see this in golfers all the time. Minute changes whould creep into their swing completly affecting their game, good golfers playing crap overnight, they dont reliase their mistake and keep practicing with the fault in the swing till it comes to the point where it takes sessions with the pro and lessons to get back to their original swing.
    We tend to take dart throw mechanics for granted but while I was battling Dartitis I used my golfing background to help iron out my throw. Dartitis = yips in golf and they have written hundreds of books about yips.

You might take have a little time to think tonight are you doing anything different recently ? weight distribution changed ? grip ? length of arc before release ?
    Not saying that changes could be at fault but it might help. Remeber Taylor made some big changes to his throw (last year or two years ago ?) and god knows it helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

stylie wrote: »
    Another point of note, I used to see this in golfers all the time. Minute changes whould creep into their swing completly affecting their game, good golfers playing crap overnight, they dont reliase their mistake and keep practicing with the fault in the swing till it comes to the point where it takes sessions with the pro and lessons to get back to their original swing.
    We tend to take dart throw mechanics for granted but while I was battling Dartitis I used my golfing background to help iron out my throw. Dartitis = yips in golf and they have written hundreds of books about yips.

You might take have a little time to think tonight are you doing anything different recently ? weight distribution changed ? grip ? length of arc before release ?
    Not saying that changes could be at fault but it might help. Remeber Taylor made some big changes to his throw (last year or two years ago ?) and god knows it helped him.

How did you get rid of daritis i have it back after getting rid of it and its wrecking my head its only my first dart i cant let go the other two are fine , but im still playing well.

• Advertisement

I used a trigger to help with the release. Basically when i brought the dart back and was ready to throw I clenched my fist slightly at the point where i would normally start my throw, not the throwing arm fist :), seems to trick the brain a little and it worked :) now I dont have any release problems and after awhile i dont use the trigger any more.
    Also moving your non standing foot back slightly as u throw works but it upsets your balance. Lots of players seem to have triggers before they throw a dart, Van Gerwin looks like a yawning hippo before he releases to name one.

Advertisement