Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain M Banks

Options
  • 18-03-2010 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was looking at some of Iain M Banks ... they look good....

I was wondering what people prefer .. his Culture series or ... other's

like The Algebraist looks good .... and as it's stand alone maybe better
    to start with this ....

cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I've been reading the Iain M Banks books at random, Culture and non-Culture, no particular order. It doesn't matter really from what I can see.

The Algebraist was the first one I read. I've re-read it since - great book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I've read a fair few of his Culture books. Some of them are terrible.

I think my recommendations are as follows:
    • Non culture - Wasp Factory
    • Culture - Player of Games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Culture - all fairly "meh" from what I've read... Consider Phlebas (sp!) was alright.

Non culture - hard to find a bad one tbh (I think Dead Air is the only one I haven't enjoyed)
    Complicity is one of my faves*, followed by Whit, Crow Road, Wasp Factory and The Bridge (pretty much in that order)
    *Keep meaning to watch the film adaptation of it...

FYI, Culture Vs. non-Culture doesn't correspond to Iain M Banks Vs. Ian Banks.

About half of the Iain M Banks stuff isn't set in the Culture universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!:o

In that case, they're all crap.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed the sci-fi stuff I've read but didn't really like the Iain Banks 'literary' stuff.

That said, all I've read has been Dead Air and A Song of Stone so maybe I chose poorly...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

FYI, Culture Vs. non-Culture doesn't correspond to Iain M Banks Vs. Ian Banks.

About half of the Iain M Banks stuff isn't set in the Culture universe.
    Indeed it doesn't.

Iain M (MMMM!) Banks is SF.

Iain Banks (no M) is fiction (though some can be surreal like The Bridge or be a bit SFy like Walking On Glass or his latest book, Transiton, whch I didn't really like).

The best Culture ones are Consider Phelbas, Use Of Weapons, and Excession IMHO. EDIT: Player of Games ain't bad either... ;)

For Fiction, The Wasp Factory, Complicity, and The Crow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

The Sci-Fi I've read from himself includes:

Inversions
    Consider Phlebas
    Against A Dark Background
    The State Of The Art (short stories)
    Look To Windward
    Excession (Found this quite hard to get through, due to the style of writing)

Fiction:
    The Wasp Factory (don't think I can recommend this one highly enough)

Currently reading The Steep Approach To Garbadale, which I really like so far.

Anyone read Use Of Weapons? I have this on the book shelf for a couple of years, but haven't gotten round to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I would recommend Use of Weapons. It was my first SF book by Banks and still rates as my favourite.
    Strange how tastes differ. I thought The Wasp Factory was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Excession (Found this quite hard to get through, due to the style of writing)

You should try reading Feersum Endjinn. ;) The most excruciating book I have ever attempted to read! I could not finish it and I count Banks as my favourite SF author. Entire chapters written in an awful hybrid of phonetic/txtspk.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I wanted to punch Banks in the face after finishing Matter.

Use of Weapons is probably my favourite; think I read all the Culture novels (apart from Matter) around the time Look to Windward came out, which is about ten years ago now so my memory is hazy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CuLT wrote: »
    I wanted to punch Banks in the face after finishing Matter.
    Why? I just finished it yesterday. Far from his best, but I didn't wish him physical harm after reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Use of Weapons, Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Algebraist are recommended. I have read others but none were as good. Look to Windward contained a certain belief in a "version" of immortality or at least returning after death that I found completely ridiculous, ruined the book for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I've read most of his books over the years and enjoyed most of them but one of my big favourites has to be the lesser known fiction 'The Business'.

Advertisement