Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting low roof transit

Options
  • 18-03-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I'd like to convert my low roof transit into a campervan. As it is under the 1.8m height necessary for reg as a campervan I know I can't insure it with dolmen.

Is there anywhere that will insure it?

If I tell my current insures about the addition of seats / new windows etc. will they simply increase premiuim or refuse to insure at all?

Any info much appreciated , cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You have a lot of homework to do!! Go search for vrt'ing campers and self builds with in this forum! But anyway, before you do anything at all about insurance, you are going to have to get the converted camper reregistered. I am not 100% sure as to what the story is if the van is on Irish plates as a commercial now (IE the vrt has been paid already), but if you are bringing it in as a 1st time registeration to Ireland then you definitely have to pay the vrt. This is only 50quid once it follows certain guidelines, like over 1.8m inside, over 3ton unladen weight, has 2ring cooker, sink and bed.

But if it is under 1.8m, then the vrt is 36% of the OMSP! However if it is over the 1.8m but under 3ton then the vrt is 13% (or thereabouts).

As I say this is for newly imported campers in Ireland definitely, but it seems to be a grey area as to just getting the vehicle log book changed from commercial to camper.

The other insurance company is Stuarts in Blackrock, but their policy seems to be very similar to Dolman.

Advertisement