Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you gave up drinking?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 11:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21

Hi lads, I just noticed this group after months of snooping around boards. I'm 22 and am a recovering alcoholic. I was in a treatment centre last June, a couple of slips since then but am back on the straight and narrow now again thanks God. Ten weeks sober today in fact. I was just wondering what age ppl were when they went into recovery/stopped drinking and how did they find it affected their social life? Im finding it a bit tough at the moment because all anyone else my age seems to want to do is go to the pub. Its getting me down a bit today in particular, although I know St Patricks Day is just another drinking day for somebody in addiction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

26... I was thinking about it long and hard for about 4 years before I finally knocked it on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

i am only out of a treatment centre a few weeks,but have to say best thing i ever done.i tried by myself last oct/nov going to aa for 5 weeks but thought i could control my drinking and stop coke takeing on my own....idid for short while but the first couple weekends in jan i went on couple of serious binges drink and cocaine 3-4 days at a time.iknew it was the end of it for me,threw in the towel and went to treatment.i am married with two kids i did it for myself and them.i am twenty seven years old and hope i will never touch drink or drugs again.i am lucky i have full support of my job,family, friends and so on.i really needed treatment and am now the person i always felt was there...i feel great head is clear and am in aftercare and getting in 2-3 meetings a week.i have family members who are well in recovery and they are there for me 24/7...i have mostly good days head was bit all over the place paddys day but that passed and i never had desire to drink,just felt a bit odd all day.....seven weeks sober which is a miricle...one day at a time and when i feel down i speak to someone about it or go to meeting and i always feel better afterwards....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 PonyLuv

Hi Josh,

I just want to say well done. I know how tough it is and seven weeks really is a miracle for somebody like ourselves. Non-addicts just cant even comprehend how strong compulsions can be. You sound like youre doing all the right things and I'm hoping you feel your sobriety is worth it. I know myself the sense of happiness I felt being able to wake up in the morning not feeling awful and spend the day with my family not worried about me. I sincerely hope you keep up the good work, remember happiness is a choice you make! Im trying to put on the white coat instead of the black one everyday myself but its getting easier and easier. Its great to see
    people with addiction getting help and younger people coming into the rooms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

thanks ponyluv for the post....you know having been through the hell how better it is without alcohol/drugs in your life...at 22 i realise how hard it is for you but you know yourself its for the best.i nearly took the step at 22 but stayed at it till 27.....everything i believe happens for a reason...best of luck in recovery......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Gave up drinking/drugs when I was 25, used solely AA. I had a slip at 9 mths and threw myself into the program again.
    All going well, I will be celebrating 7 yrs in July.
    I am the person I was meant to be. I love being sober, it was not easy on my social life, but now that I have friends that are active in cycling and other productive things, I have a full life.
    Don't leave before the miracle happens. The world is your oyster when you are free from the Demons that keep you chained to the drink, anything is possible>

Good luck and PM me if I can be of any assistance, I currently live in NY, but will be travelling back home soon, which is a little scarey, since I have been here for 11 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

Brilliant message, its what its all about, coming back to yourself who you were meant to be and delighted about it. Oh yeah I was 29, 6 weeks before my 30th, and now over 8 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

LadyJedi wrote: »
    Brilliant message, its what its all about, coming back to yourself who you were meant to be and delighted about it. Oh yeah I was 29, 6 weeks before my 30th, and now over 8 years

Congratulations on your time-happy joyous and free! :)

I am going through a major life change at the minute, in fact for the last three years I have gone through one each year. These are things that if I were drinking, would leave me baffled and unable to proceed. However, being sober, I can face these problems head on and deal with them in a way that will be productive to my future rather than being sorry for myself and using them as an excuse to be held down.

Life is not a rose garden for anyone, relationship problems-career problems-health problems etc.

But I heard a saying by Greg Lemonde "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster" I apply it to life in general, "it doesn't get easier, but it gets better"

Advertisement