Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartments in Rathmines?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi there,

Does anyone know when the new apartments in Rathmines are due to open? Its a brand new complex that has been under construction in the centre of Rathmines for a while now. I drove past it the other day and it is all dark inside, i would have thought construction would be done already!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are two new developments. One is over Lidl, the other at the swimming pool. Both were built by John Paul Construction. The swimming pool ones are a joint development with the city council where there city council got some of the apartments and the leisure centre in return for the construction of the development. Your best bet is to talk to John Paul Construction if you want to buy / rent one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MandyManders

Thanks for all the information guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My guess would be these are going straight into NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

They are only going to be renting out the ones in Rathmines Square (obivously realised they have no hope of selling them at the price they want).
    I also saw the ones above Lidl for rent on Daft yesterday, think they were looking for €1400 for a 2 bed, I laughed....
    found link on daft: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=pc6&s[mnp]=1100&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=2&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=0&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=861907

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

sickle wrote: »
    looking for €1400 for a 2 bed, I laughed....
    [/URL]

Nice place but are these people thinking with their heads at all? I mean, how thick do they think people are? 1K for that apartment maximum, no matter how much they furnishings are worth. Landlords are greedy bastards... Hopefully most of them will get a nice wake up call, people need to stop renting these places for colossol prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I notice on the Rathmines Sq. website no mention of sales prices, just a scrolling banner about renting.

So, what we'll end up with is another disgusting, unsympathetic modern Irish apartment block, made possible by knocking down some of the few trees there were in Rathmines and building over the green grassy space that was there too. All so that another few dozen rental properties can enter the market. Where the hell is the benefit in any of this to the people of Rathmines? FFS. And people on rent supplement will end up being given some of these, paid for by the taxpayer, that money going straight into the LL's pockets or, more likely, straight into helping them cover their debts.

And that to not even mention that the loans on this monstrosity will never, ever be covered by current achievable rents and so the taxpayer will pay twice over - once to populate the apartments and twice by filling whatever hole this leaves in either NAMA or the bank's balance sheet. And rather than realising any of these losses, instead we'll have the charade of the developer renting the places out, the taxpayer paying the difference....and this will just go on and on until....what??? Till something happens. Which it won't cause the economy is dead for 10 years. We'll end up just waiting and waiting and waiting. How fkn sick can you get.

Whatever councillors ok'd this deserve to be lynched. Only, there are no trees left in Rathmines to do it on. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Rathmines square is built on the site of the old swimming pool, not a green space. If you pop around the back of the new development there is a new little park which is better than what was there before to be honest.
    There is also a new pool and leisure centre with a large sports hall going in which will benefit the people of Rathmines once its up and running.
    I haven't hard if the affordable/social housing side of it is being offered yet or if they are just going to rent out the whole thing to make a few quid. I'm gonna pop over and have a look once it opens up anyway (just being nosey)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

sickle wrote: »
    Rathmines square is built on the site of the old swimming pool, not a green space. If you pop around the back of the new development there is a new little park which is better than what was there before to be honest.
    There is also a new pool and leisure centre with a large sports hall going in which will benefit the people of Rathmines once its up and running.
    I haven't hard if the affordable/social housing side of it is being offered yet or if they are just going to rent out the whole thing to make a few quid. I'm gonna pop over and have a look once it opens up anyway (just being nosey)

+1 it was just a grotty little car park and a grotty little pool. Whats there now is far superior. Rathmines needs all the help it can get. Its problem is that Landlords have been extracting rents from there for years without ever once giving back to the community or keeping their properties clean and tidy.

Advertisement