Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of clamping

Options
  • 17-03-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get this email:
    Car Parking

Notice of Clamping and Towing Implementation on March 23rd

Campus user,

As you are no doubt aware the car parking situation on the campus has deteriorated in recent months. Increasing numbers of cars are being parked dangerously and your personal safety is potentially being put at risk as a result. We cannot allow this situation to continue.

Over the past few weeks staff have been verbally abused when legitimately asking people to move from clearly marked no parking zones to patently free car park spaces. Classes have been cancelled on two occasions due to fire exits being blocked by illegally parked cars. In addition, damage is being done to the landscaped areas of the institute. We cannot allow these situations to continue.

As of March 23rd we will implement a strict towing and clamping policy. Cars parked outside of the designated parking spaces will be clamped in-situ or towed to a designated location on the campus. Drivers will be required to pay a fee to the clamping company NCPS to have their car released to them. Drivers must deal directly with NCPS not the institute. The clamp release fee will be €70 and the towing release fee will be €300.

This notice is deemed to provide fair and advanced warning of the implementation of the system so please be advised that the system will be implemented in full from March 23rd onward.

Way to sort out the problem :rolleyes:

Instead of this silly solution they could have implemented any number of things - putting a barrier system on the gate for example, using our student cards as the entry system.

I think most of the problem is from people who used to park in the Square before heading to work now parking in ITT since the Sq. have now implemented their paid parking...

Also, I'm pretty sure that private clamping (i.e non-Dublin County Council clamping companies) operate in a grey area of the law so I'm not sure you will actually have to pay. I'm off to check it out anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

People may be interested in this thread...

Note: I am not telling anybody to do anything that may be considered illegal...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I come in at 6, but seeing cars packed on grass and the ruts they leave isn't great, having been in UCD and having the early morning scramble for spots being the same due to people parking there and getting the bus into town, you'd wonder why they didnt just bring in a swipe system for students and have one car park as a visitor car park. A multistorey car park would be a good solution anyway if they can fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Could they not use the field that to your left as you drive through the gates as a place to build a carpark? I dont think i've ever seen that been used once and it looks big enough.

I have seen a good 20 cars clamped so far today. How annoying.

Should the SU not be doing something about this...?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

had a row with Mr. " i am just following ze orders mein furher" parking attendant, fair enough sort out the dangerous parking but perhaps build more parking spaces first and that card idea sounds good.

• Advertisement

Or any sort of permit parking like...silly ITT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I never understand why colleges can bring it a swipe system for parking...
    In UCD they have a couple of pay parks that could be left open but cheap to get into the rest of the campus you need to swipe your student card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Crazy stuff, have put up posters on the spaces on the right hand side coming into the college that they are vistor only, with some lad asking each person if they're just a vistor.

Haha is that what the little messer is doing?

Car parking spaces beside the SU have red tape around them with a sign saying "Tow Away Zone"...

Why is this I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

Teferi wrote: »

Car parking spaces beside the SU have red tape around them with a sign saying "Tow Away Zone"...

Why is this I wonder?

i think theyre making that are a motorcycles only area. odd since ive onyl ever seen one motorbike in the whole campus.

the heads jsut dont give a bollox about students. theyll never give us the resources we need, everyone just wants too see how much they can squeeze out of students.

"awh the economys bad" so lets pick on the people who are gonna be cleaning up after our mess.

• Advertisement

Yup, and was telling cars coming in there was no spaces but there was somewhere else to park outside of the college somewhere.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

Yup, and was telling cars coming in there was no spaces but there was somewhere else to park outside of the college somewhere.:confused:

I'm fairly sure theres no spaces outside the campus
    probably didn't want to deal with them

idiot.

Why is this I wonder?

Just thinking of this there, yesterday we were told that there could be industrial action by the lecturers because of this clamping crap. Basically lecturers who have to teach in ITT satelite places what to have a car space when they come back to the campus as they would have had a space before they left th campus, they were told verbally that would happen but when asked for it in writing they were told no, they went to the Labour Relations and that collasped, then there was a meeting yesterday over it.

one student who was clamped took the clamp off his car and tried to put it on the clamping van - my hero!

Yeah lads, it's not illegal to take the clamp off yourself. It is illegal to damage the clamp. So if you can get it off without damaging the clamp then it's fair game :)

he should have clamped the muppet who decided to bring the clampers in without thinking it through properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Why is this I wonder?

It's where the cars that get towed get put after they are "towed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Man parking was a huge problem when i was there.. and that was over 3 years ago.. Think they would have sorted it by now...

How about getting rid of that water logged football pitch and sticking in a few hundred spaces...

Institute of Technononology ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

How about getting rid of that water logged football pitch and sticking in a few hundred spaces...

Institute of Technononology ftw!!!

The Pitch is now bedded in and the drainage sorted - I think it got posts yesterday so will be up and running soon.

More parking spaces needs planning permission which is very hard to come by for "just" parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

macrubicon wrote: »
    The Pitch is now bedded in and the drainage sorted - I think it got posts yesterday so will be up and running soon.

Ha ha 4 years after its conception.... wow talk about taking their time with it..

• Advertisement

40 minutes to get parking. Fucking hell. Very frustrating.

Perhaps some sort of mass email to the estate manager might registar at least some complaint. Anybody up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the packing is just aweful in itt taking people an hour to get packing or people have to park somewhere else and having to pay for it which is ridckolus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

they will never sort that out.

been two years since i was there and I thought they may have bucked up their act by now...

From the ITT SU facbook:
    student daily rate of €3 per day for the use of the abberley car park adjacent to D.I.D Electrical..

Visitor Parking Guy is back today. He wasn't there last week, strange.

Also, parking was bad again today. I thought it was good last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

I sent a suggestion to the student union for the parking after two days of having to park at the square!
    Best place to park btw, free for first hour and then a euro an hour. Cheaper than a lot of the others and just pick it up at lunchtime when there is parking spaces!
    Anyways, I asked them if a permit system could be introduced on a distance to travel basis. From what I have seen the problem is people that can easily wallk to college all driving in..
    So the permit could be given at the beginning of the year to the exact amount of people that can fit in the park.. like eg.300 spaces= 300 permits!
    But they just didnt understand so they said something about clamping anyway...
    SU cant do s***, Just a money making thing..

Advertisement