Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setup home theatre with NTL

Options
  • 17-03-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie here and also a newbie to setups with cable tv. I would appreciate any help you could offer to help me set up my philips tv, home theatre and ntl box so I can play movies and have the tv sound come through the home theatre.

Philips 9000 series tv
    Samsung ht-z320 home cinema (1 scart and 1 hdmi)
    NTL box with 2 scart inputs(tv + aux)

Previous connection was tv to ntl tv via scart
    dvd player to ntl aux via scart

Hope I post this in correct forum

thank you,

Laboot(very non techy):confused:
    Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi and welcome to Boards... :)

You can connect the Samsung to your TV by HDMI, this will give you the best quality video signal to your TV from that unit.

The NTL box is a little more complicated - you need to buy an adaptor which looks like this :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/tb62.jpg

This should plug into the scart socket on your NTL box and will allow you to route the audio (from the red and white leads) to similar input sockets on your Samsung - consult the manual for the locatio of these, and will allow you to connect the Composite Video (yellow plug) to a similar input socket on your TV. This will send the audio to the Samsung, which will generate a pseudo-surround sound from the stereo signal, and video to you TV.

You'll get this type of Scart cable from Maplins - see http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28102 or from Peats or places like Powercity etc. Please don't be induced to buy something outrageously expensive for this purpose - a basic one will do fine.

Hope that helps, come back and tell us how you get on.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laboot

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be in maplin on Saturday and will try your suggestion. Will get back to you.

much appreciated,

Bootbender

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

It might be worth keeping the scart going from the ntl box to the tv as the scart gives you better picture quality than composite will give you.

If your ntl box has audio out (red white) you could connect that to the samsung home theatre through audio in.Just simply turn the sound off the tv then.

You can find the settings on boards to program the remote so that the sound will adjust through the ntl box itself and have the sound set on the home theatre.Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laboot

Thanks guys,

I got it working via suggestion one from "The Ritz" but I will now try adding the scart as suggested by F.Galway.

Is it settings for the NTL remote or the Samsung remote?

I notice the NTL box has digital audio out and the Samsung has digital audio in. Would cabling this way give better sound than using the red and white type lead?

Much appreciated...your time and help

Bootbender :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

laboot wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

I got it working via suggestion one from "The Ritz" but I will now try adding the scart as suggested by F.Galway.

I notice the NTL box has digital audio out and the Samsung has digital audio in. Would cabling this way give better sound than using the red and white type lead?

Hi Laboot,

Yes, the digital audio out would be much better......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

laboot wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Superleeds is right go for the the digital connection as it can give a better sound.

Advertisement