Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 3Gs on PAYG

• 17-03-2010 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I was comparing the pay as you go option to the €45 p/m option on vodafone's website. It appears that the PAYG is a better deal, is there some major catch I'm missing that makes the bill option the wiser choive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

I was comparing the pay as you go option to the €45 p/m option on vodafone's website. It appears that the PAYG is a better deal, is there some major catch I'm missing that makes the bill option the wiser choive?

I did the exact same thing you did - worked out that it was cheaper just to buy the thing and I can unlock it now because I have bought €150 of credit (€20 every month for free text).

One of the differences with them though is 3G internet access - with a bill you can access it anytime you want as its part of the plan. With PAYG it costs €1 for 24 hours of access and I'm not sure is it a 1GB download limit with that.

But if your like myself where you either have a wireless network near you most of the time, or your not too bothered than you will be fine. But if you must costantly check your email on the go or some other regular connection than you might run into a bit of difficulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Until O2 and Vodafone offer a data add-on for prepay customers, using an iPhone on PAYG is anything but good value. Avoiding 3G data use defeats the whole purpose of the device imo.

However, buying it on PAYG and using it with with a non-iphone or 30-day plan might be a good option if you don't want to be tied into a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's what i've done with mine.

It's an AT&T iphone that was on contract (bought it whilst working in america), unlocked it and now on meteor bill pay lite 30 euro 1-month rolling contract for 200minutes/200texts free calls and texts to meteor and i have a 15 euro 10gig data bundle, so for 45 euro i have a better contract than the O2/vodafone bundles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭jamesd

With vodafone PAYG you can sign up to the 360 deal and you get 100mb per day for 39c a day, I put in €20 per month to get my free texts and out of that €20 my 39c per day so I am left with the remainder to make calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I intend to buy the 4G, if the deals are good when it comes out, so I don't want to commit myself to an 18 month contract on the 3Gs. The meteor bill options are excellent, pity they dont do the iPhone.
    If I were on bill pay with the 3Gs would I have to wait a while before I could upgrade to the 4G?

• Advertisement
Advertisement